Running Wild

The track was narrow, Annie slowly steered Ranger carefully down the path. Ranger was Annie’s horse. He was incredibly loyal. Annie’s Mum had bred Ranger from a brumby mare. Annie often thought of her mother whenever she rode Ranger.
Annie’s mum died two years ago and it still hurt to think about her. Annie had lived with her father and her grandfather on the farm ever since.
For the first few months Dad seemed okay after mum passed. After a while, he became worse. It took him months of therapy to be back to his normal self. Even now he still is a bit cautious about things.
I took Mum’s death hard at first. After a while, I kind of acknowledged that she wasn’t coming back. Now I’m fine. I still miss her a lot, but I live.
We had reached the bottom of the track. It spread out in front of us, miles upon miles of grassy plains, ready to be chewed down by the hoof beat of horses. Ranger danced underneath me. He wanted to gallop. I heard Dad behind me, he pulled his black stallion up. “Go in front of me.” He said.
I did as he asked. I had no idea why I had to lead. Suddenly, my dad galloped past me, his hand clinging onto his hat. I couldn’t just stand there. I nudged Ranger on, galloping after him.
We raced across the plain laughing wildly as we galloped. Ranger was sweaty and looked tired. We both decided to head home. I quickly untacked Ranger and sponged him down. I then headed towards the house. Our house was small but tidy. I walked up the fragile wooden steps. The door creaked as I opened it. I stepped in, looking to find Grandpa. Grandpa had lived with us for ages. We took him into our care ever since he developed diabetes.
“Grandpa?” I called out.
No answer. “Grandpa?”
“Ye-ess…?” A voice croaked back.
“What’s up?”
Grandpa didn’t reply, just stared out the window looking sad. “Grandpa?”
He turned his crinkled face towards me.
“Annie… I need you to do something for me.” He signalled me over.
I bent down as he whispered into my ear.
I galloped across the hard ground. Ranger’s hoof beats loud beneath me.
“Faster boy, faster!” I urged him on, kicking his sides. Ranger’s sides puffed in and out while he inhaled air.
I stood up in my stirrups, looking around for any sign of life. I whistled loudly, soon after sitting back down in the saddle, I heard a sharp whinny. A herd of horses came walking out from underneath the trees. The leader bent his long chestnut head, making a perfect arch before throwing his mane into the air. I smiled. I would hold the memory forever. Grandpa had told me that the brumby’s were going to be culled and Annie was determined to find a way to stop it. Even if that meant hiding them…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!