Unexpected

It was school time when it happened, yesterday afternoon. Everyone was in class, learning in quiet, working in quiet, not knowing what had happened. Different teachers ran around to different classes, telling the class that they were an assembly, an unplanned assembly. Of course, none of us knew what had happened or why there was an unexpected assembly, but we knew that it was urgent. We all knew that something had happened, something startling.

"Right," the principal said into the microphone, looking over us. "Something has happened yesterday. Something utterly shocking. We only just found out about it, and, let's just say, that none of us were expecting it to happened" he took a break to take a small breath. "One of our students, our beloved Nathaniel Bell, died yesterday," Gasps and whispers soon filled the room. Shock and sadness soon bubbled up in everyone, especially me. "No one knows his cause of death but there are people that are doing their best to find out. If anyone knows any information about this unfortunate event, come to my office to tell me. Thank you,"

No one dared to move, no one dared to speak, everyone was in complete and utter shock. Nathaniel was well liked in this school, liked by all of the students and teachers. He was a jock, the quarter back on the school football team, as well as a straight A student. He always wore an award winning smile around the school.

I sat there, looking down at the ground in front of me, my mouth hanging open, taking in the news that had been told. I could feel the tears forming in my eyes and I let them roll down my cheeks freely, not caring if anyone noticed. No one had mentioned anything to me about the situation, about the death, not even my parents.

Someone placed their hand on my shoulder, which snapped me out of my little moment and back into reality. I turned my head to see who it was. It was Eleanor, my best friend, but was also Nathaniel's friend.

"Courtney, are you ok?" She asked, looking at me with a sad, caring expression.

I let out a shaky breath, running my hands down my legs. "Yeah, I will be,"

Eleanor pushed me to her body and wrapped her arms around my neck. I wrapped my own arms around her bust, letting out the sobs that were held in my throat. I didn't care if anyone was looking at me weirdly, I needed to let my sadness and grief out.

He's gone, I thought, he's really gone. And I didn't get to say goodbye

No one could replace Nathaniel, no one can take his place, not even Eleanor. My twin brother was gone for good and there was nothing I could do to bring him back.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!