Understanding

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

The night air swirled around the lonely figure, dancing to a tune so foreign and mysterious that the human ear could not decipher. Yet as the figure stood illuminated by the moon hanging brilliantly above the cliff edge, the thought appeared that perhaps this was for the best. The dance was so full of anger and sorrow yet joy and innocence at the same time and surly such a range of emotions, felt so intensely would tear a fragile human apart. 'No', thought the figure 'this is a dance for the wind and the wind alone, only such a natural force could dance this dance.
For many hours, the figure stood alone watching the soulful dance of the wind as it flirted with the sand, the cliffs and the waves, brushing up against them only to twirl them around before moving on. But at last as the sun rose on the horizon and the world was once again bathed in its radiant glow, did the figure end their silent vigil and head back towards the town.
This ritual continued all week and slowly the figure began to understand the fury the ocean felt towards the sand and the cliffs because it feared they were the reason the wind would not stay true to it. Its' fury was seen in the swirling green depths and in its foaming breath. However, it could be seen most obviously in the waves, who threw themselves against the cliffs out of fear, anger, desperation and love. The figure watched all of this through a passive face as their eyes streamed from the sharp wind and the constant spray of the ocean, but not once did they say a word.
On the last day of the week, the moon shone brighter than ever. Its' pure light shining a beam onto the figure whose black hair whipped around her face in the wild yet comforting caress of the wind. Below her, the ocean roared its grief and the woman saw in it, the understanding she had been searching for. With tears flowing down her cheeks, like iridescent pearls in the moonlight, she whispered, "I will see you soon love,” before she stepped away from the cliffs as unchangeable as time and fell with her arms open, in greeting towards the ocean she knew would understand.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!