Painting The Way

Painting the way
Painting is something I have always connected with, the stroke of the brush on the canvas. The different colours that come together to create one beautiful picture. I wish the world was like that, that all colours were accepted. But I am a girl, a girl not defined by the kindness I show or the truth that I speak but a girl defined by the colour of my skin. Never the less I will continue to paint with all the colours of the wind. That’s a reference from Pocahontas if you didn’t realise, Pocahontas is one of my favourite Disney movies, and ‘Colour of the Wind’ is one of my favourite songs. I have lived by the lyrics in the song,
‘You think the only people who are people Are the people who look and think like you But if you walk the footsteps of a stranger You’ll learn things you never knew’
As they remind me that the no one knows me or the things I’ve been through and their judgement doesn’t mean anything. That’s why I’ve decided to enter the art competition at the local gallery.

*6 Weeks Later*

My palms are sweating and I’ve chewed my nails down out of nerves. A miracle. It’s a miracle that my painting has made it to the final judges. I wring my hands and then I let go. Don’t show your nerves I keep repeating in my head.
“All contestants to the stage please, all contestants to the stage.”
I hold my breath as dad leans down to give me a tight hug. “You’ll do great,” he says. I slowly walk up the stairs surrounded by my competitors and stand in line facing the crowd. The lights are blinding for a second and it takes a while for my eyes to adjust. Wow. There’s so many people! And they’re all cheering, wait why are they cheering? People are patting me on the back. I’ve won? I’ve won! As soon as I realise this the dam holding my emotions breaks and tears start falling down my cheeks. I step forward and shake the judges’ hands. This is a step, a small step but a step closer to everyone painting with all the colours of the wind.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!