Hard To Talk About

I cry, this letter is horrific:

Dear Lily,
Unfortunately your husband has died today in a work incident.
I am here for you.

Sorry,

Constable Jenkins

I get into my car and drive down to the Police station where Constable Jenkins is based.
I ask for him, and then he comes down the corridor.
“Lily.”
“Jenkins.”
“Come into my office.” I walk down the corridor and he follows after. We walk in and he closes the door.

“So you're saying he was poisoned by Sam, his colleague?”
“Yes.”
“Why would Sam do such a thing?”
“Well……we thought you might like to talk to Sam…alone.” I thought about this for a second.
“Ok.” He then talked into his walking-talkie.
“He’s coming, I’ll just leave you now.” He then walked out of the office.

Sam walked in ( handcuffed ) with two guards following him. The guards strapped him into a chair opposite me and then they left, they locked the door.
“Sam” I said. He grunted.
“WHY!......I mean, why?”
“I hated him, I REALLY HATED HIM!!!!”
“Why did you hate him.”
“Well a month before he started the job I was going to be promoted to being boss. I was so happy but when Hunter came and they saw how much better he was than me they decided to give the job to him.”
“Right.”
“I was so….so furious with him. I had been trying to kill him for two years but never got the right moment. And yesterday when it was just us two at the chemist, I did it. I was disgusted with myself but not regretful. Then after that I wanted to hand myself in as I wanted some time to think about it.”

“So how was it?”
“Interesting.”
“Good or bad?”
“Bit of both.”
“Really?”He raised his eyebrows “That’s better than I expected. Well thank you for taking the time to come here today.”
“It's fine.”
“And remember to call me or come here to talk to me whenever you need to.”
“Thanks.” We then stood up and walked out of the office.

I had to wash my bedsheets the next day because they were so wet from my weeping the night before. I felt so sick about it for about 2 weeks. Then about 3 weeks after, Constable Jenkins knocked on my front door. He came in and asked how I was doing.
“Fine.”
“Listen, I came here to tell you that Sam has escaped. It’ll be on the News tonight but I thought you should be the first to know.”
“Oh my gosh……..really?”
“Yes. Well I best be off, got another case to solve, you know! “He then just walked out and drove off. I sat there, stunned.
“Bye.”

His death was hard to talk about.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!