Jai Ho

JAI HO!
Amit Patel, the in form player has just made his way out to the center circle . The determined youngster is looking to take on the role of a finisher and close this cup up once and for all. This is a crucial part of the game for his country and with the likes of barricading opponents and defending champions... the Australians and half of his team injured… he has a huge responsibility on his shoulders.

The captains have returned to the center circle and crouched down for the last play of the tournament, and prayers are uttered all around before the last 15 seconds play began.

And we are underway! , the play has begun and the Aussie captain, Nathan McDermott has taken hold of the ball and controls it down the field, McDermott being in the upper hand doesn’t have to shoot, all he needs to do is waste time and make it harder for India, Well he might as well, because he now has a chance! He takes accuracy and shoots… he misses. Sanjeev Kapoor, the vice captain has the ball and has just passed to Amit Patel.

The tall defense of the Aussies is great and is creating a harder atmosphere for Amit to shoot. He passes back to Kapoor, Kapoor passes it back to him at fullback position and 3 seconds remaining, the crowd chanting last prayers as Aussies start the chant. 3… Amit struggles 2….. He gets through McDermott 1…. He takes Aim from midfielder position, shoots and… 0….

And that’s a win for India!!!, Patel and Kapoor, the two most senior players have brought India home and torn down the defense and protection of these six foot Aussies. They have brought India home and have claimed the Commonwealth cup in a sea of tournaments played over the last few years and finally after twenty eight years they have claimed the cup . Out amongst the spectators, is one of the most amazing players that has represented this Indian side, Ajay Gopal. With tears in his eyes, I think he is remembering when they won the 1984 Commonwealth games - winning against Argentina, 3- 1.

‘Start the tuk tuk’ Sanjeev shouted, quoting David Lloyd’s favourite words. The Indians poured onto the field and began dancing, many tears of joy rolled down the cheeks of many Indian fans. Numerous tweets & Facebook posts were taken and it seemed as if the whole of India was about to crash just about every social media network there was. Every three milliseconds, notifications sounded as people started to send highlights of the last play .

That night was the night that social media had a voice, the night that many shopkeepers earned their highest rates, the night that poor boys had a reason to laugh, the night that small boys decided to take up the game and enjoy their national sport: Field Hockey. This was the night that India reigned supreme and created the phrase...
Chak De India!
* Go for it, India!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!