You ... Me? Prom?

Everyone was greeting me as I coolly replied back. My hands become sweaty as I got closer, closer to the angel…Taylor Swan.

I was standing directly behind Taylor with a bouquet of flowers behind my back. When Taylor’s friends noticed me, the conversation dialled down and Taylor whipped around, jumping back a little.

“Oh my god, you scared me.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to frighten you,” I apologise stupidly. Taylor’s friends snicker between themselves as my self-confidence decreases.

“What do you want Tyler?” Taylor asks with a hip sticking out, letting the boys who were walking past, stop to admire the behind a bit.

My trail of thought is interrupted when Taylor’s fingers snap in front of my face making me flinch.

“Hurry.”

“Huh? Oh right.”

“Oh my god. Is Tyler finally asking Taylor?” I heard someone ask, “hopefully,” another one adds.

“Um…” I bring out the bouquet from behind, punching it into Taylor’s chest.

“Um … happy … Flower Day.”

“What the hell you jerk? My necklace was about to break,” Taylor scolds, the friends rushing to the rescue.

I ran, without even apologising. That’s when I ran into my best friend, “whoa slow down Andrews,” I didn’t feel like talking to anyone right now so I just pushed past him. I could hear him calling after me.

I enter the mens bathroom and hear the door push open immediately after, “bro, what happened?”

“I ruined all of it.”

“Then what the hell are you doing sulking in here? Do it again.”

“It’s just gonna make things worse.”

“How would you know if you don’t try? Be a man bro, be the man who’s been in love with Taylor Swan since freshmen year.”

I chuckle as I nod slightly, “alright, thanks bro.”

Back down the hall Taylor was still standing there. The people that were with Taylor were eyeing me, whispering something.

Black tears, smudged makeup, a box of tissues in hand and a lot of comforting from companions was all I saw. This was all my fault but I worked up the courage to walk up to Taylor who was already facing me. Everyone’s attention on me. I couldn’t mess up again.

In the position as last time, I smiled and took the bouquet from Taylor’s hands and kneeled. Gasps filled the hallway.

“Taylor Alexander Swan,” I began, “will you … go … to prom with me?” I managed to say as the room was filled with screams and ‘SAY YES. SAY YES.’

“Why?” Was the only thing that came out of Taylor’s mouth.

“I don’t care…” silencing the crowd. “…if you are a man and that you have the same genitals as I … but … I’m in love with you for the woman you are and… I want you to be my date to the prom.”

Taylor looks around before turned back to me whimpering, “YES!”

I shot up and hugged Taylor’s toned body with all my might, celebratory screams could be heard all around us.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!