Babysitting Woes

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

I threw myself at the window and hoped I'd crash through like they do in the movies. I didn't. I fell down and lay on the ground for a moment, stunned. Maisie ran up with half of a smashed chocolate cake (which she had been strictly told to not touch) in her chubby hands and copied me, only to land sprawled on the floor, having created a brown stain on the brilliant glass. A squeak escaped my lips as I thought of the mess I was going to have to clean. Maisie giggled and ran away. I sighed as I recalled what she had created not ten minutes ago with permanent marker on a pristine painting and scrambled around the mansion, searching for cleaning supplies. Was there a maid who could direct me to the cleaning cupboard? These people looked like they could afford plenty of those. Oh wait – if there was a maid I wouldn't be here.
I turned around and gazed wrathfully at the window I had tried to escape through. This was a perfect torture chamber, complete with the perfect torturer: 2 year-old Maisie Mallon. When would the monster’s parents return? I walked out into the palatial parlour, my eyes darting to find Maisie. Spying a chocolate trail, I followed it and was lead to the fridge, door ajar, cool air escaping. Chocolate handprints seemed to crawl upwards to the chocolate milk carton, which was now missing. I let out a string of frustrated sounds usually acquainted with angry hippopotamuses and ran off to find the munchkin. I ran throughout the huge mansion and passed the garage, which looked fit to house a white horse and golden carriage. Perched in the front seat of a sleek red Ferrari was the brat. Chocolate cake was lovingly plastered all over the steering wheel and on the deluxe leather seat lay a pool of chocolate milk.
I snatched up the tiny delinquent and hauled her off to the trampoline outside which, thank goodness, had a net around it. Once she was safely on, I told her to stay there, not entirely trusting her to do so, and closed the flap to start cleaning. I found the note that Maisie’s parents had left and read a small part – the cleaning supplies are in the room next to the bathroom, just in case. I wouldn't expect it though, seeing as our daughter is an angel for babysitters! An angel, I scoffed to myself. Yeah right! I dashed off to clean up the crime scene and finished just as a stretch limo rolled up the pristine driveway. Maisie's parents strolled inside and smiled at me.
“How was she?” Mrs Mallon inquired sweetly.
“Oh, just perfect!” I said, a fake smile dancing across my lips. Mrs Mallon handed me a crisp $50 note.
“Thank you so much for babysitting, Lily.” She smiled. With my reward in my pocket, I sprinted away and severely hoped I would never again have to babysit that child.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!