George, George Wilson

George, George Wilson
As I turned a corner onto the main street to collect my rational food for the week a dangerous punch had landed straight in to my ribs. I couldn’t recognise the face so it must have been a stranger, he went in for another punch straight into the temple; my heart stopped, but before he could someone with a strong build had ceased his arm right before me. I couldn’t stand the pain in my ribs it was revolting I had no choice but only to fall back onto the dirty ground. The hand of the stranger who saved me was reaching out I grabbed it but had no energy in me to stand up again. he spoke: ‘ hello George I’m recruiting officer for world war 1 your mum has told me about you, I have recruited her as a nurse, your 26 come 18th of January for your spot as a troop… good day’ and he was off leaving me lying with pain searing through my ribs.
‘George Wilson you never asked! What if I never see my only son again? Huh think about it I’m only letting you go because I’m passionate for my country.’ Dad yelled I could see his hands trembling I had to break the news to him somehow. I gave him a sympathetic nod and was off I thought of how stupid telling him this on the day I had to leave.
Today is my day first time on the western front my goal was to shoot as many Turks and Huns as possible for Dad. His words kept spinning through my mind. BANG!! Another used bullet flew into the air alongside the ash that covered my face. My left hand was tightly clenched on the trigger of the gun, but hang on a minute is that Johnston I thought why is he out past the sandbags? But without thinking I knew Johnston was one of my best lads so I jumped the sandbags and went to rescue him, all I could hear was ‘Wilson get back here now’ but I couldn’t just leave my best mate. ‘Ahhhhh’ I screamed as my left shoulder went stiff I knew I had just been shot. So I ignored the pain and secured Johnston under my arm and I ran as fast as I could back to the trenches.
I had been in a hospital wing to find the sun filtering through the opening of the tent, the pain in my left shoulder was horrific as nurse came over: ‘you all right there love, you have been shot and the bullet is inside your shoulder and we can’t get it out so you’re going home’ she spoke calmly.
Australia is still great and I love it seems as though dad had been more proud than I thought. The doctors and surgeons can’t get the bullet out but said I should live…

The end

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!