Cancer With A Care

I woke up early this morning. Why?
My heart was racing. A rapid rhythmic drum buried deep within. Sweat beads on my eyebrow and upper lip, like water condensing on a cool drink. I contemplated my future. Questions filled my head, like white noise, they swirled and churned as I struggled to decipher them.
My future would be determined…
But I don’t know when…
A cold chill, shivered down my spine, as if someone was watching over me. It was an unusual, sort of feeling. They wanted me to be a highly qualified doctor of some specialty. I would hate to be a disappointment to them. I slowly got out of bed, and I realised something wasn’t right?
I walked into the kitchen and saw my Mum and Dad sharing a cup of tea. I know that they wanted me to succeed in life. I sat down and ate breakfast. My Mum looked me in the eye and started to talk…
“Your… Aunt… she passed away earlier this morning…
“My eyes started to water… “How?” I asked.
“Cancer…”
This wasn’t what shocked me. I had known about my Aunty for a while now. It was what my Mum said next…
My vision started to blur, tears fell down my face like a waterfall. I, almost collapsed. Terrified, I stood. Paralysed, unable to move, locked in place like a sculpture frozen in time…
My Mum also had, cancer, Lung cancer. Every aspect of me was being sucked out like a vacuum. I couldn’t get past this. It would not leave my mind. No matter how hard I try, it wouldn’t go away. I was traumatised. I couldn’t do anything… We spent every second of every day at the hospital.
My Dad said that she’ll be ok. I know that’s not true. Every day we visited her, and every day she got worse. It’s not getting better…
It’s a few days later and it did get worse. Much, much worse. She died… My Mum died of cancer… Everything around me fell apart, as if someone continually hit it with a sledgehammer. I couldn’t see the happy side to life, I couldn’t feel any cheerful emotions. Only the worst.
Out of all of the things that could have happened. It had to be that. By this point I kicked the walls, I screamed with such pain, I wished the ground could have swallowed me up there and then! My anger escalated, to an emotion that I have never experienced.
ABSOLUTE RAGE!!!
Why did this stupid world hate me? Why did…
I knew that I still had to move on in life, but I couldn’t…
I now knew why…
Why they pushed me so hard in school, why they wanted me to succeed. Why they wanted me to be a doctor.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!