Can't Affect Us

“Why did dad have to leave?” Molly winged to her mother for the hundredth time.
“I don’t know Molly, I’ve said this repeatedly, I really don’t know.” mumbled Josie as she looked down at the miracle inside of her. For the seventh night in a row, Josie and Molly sat at their dining table for dinner in silence. Molly couldn’t bare seeing her mother like this anymore, she hated the fact that she knew she was stressed, but, Molly was even more scared because she knew her mother was getting closer every day to having that baby, a little brother or sister, wow that would be nice. As she always does, Molly made her way upstairs to her bedroom to cry herself to sleep, as she has done for the past seven nights. Molly never though her father would just walk out on them like this, she always thought of him and a kind, gentle and caring man that was always there, for all his friends and family. Maybe she was wrong about him.
Molly woke up feeling a little different the next morning. She had a feeling something good was going to happen soon. She couldn’t quite make out what she was picturing though.
“You coming down for breakfast Molly? I made your favourite, pancakes.” Called Josie. Molly made her way downstairs and sat at the table. There was a knife and a fork sitting in front of her, a plate, a glass of orange juice, maple syrup, there was even a table cloth laid out on the table. Molly was really surprised to all this all of a sudden happening.
Mum came out with a tray full of steaming pancakes, put them in the middle of the table and sat down. She began to speak. “Right, so I think it’s time we started to try and cheer each other up. Your dad left, we need to just accept that he did, we can’t change that he did. We need to move on. We can be happy, you’ve got me and your baby brother or sister.” Molly seemed surprised about the words she thought she heard from her mother’s mouth, although, she agreed with her mother. Molly sat at her dining table, with her mother and enjoyed a good meal. Molly looked up from her pancakes and looked into to her mother’s eyes. She finally saw that glow of ocean blue in her eyes.
2 and a half months later, Josie Gave birth to a beautiful and healthy baby boy. His name was Jacob. Molly was so happy when her little brother was born. All she could think about was all the cuddles and games she could have and do now and when Jacob was older. Molly was happier than she’s ever been, and she was, for the rest of her life. “Doesn’t matter if dad isn’t here anymore, can’t affect us?”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!