El Capitan

I ate my cold canned soup and thought of the long descent ahead. I was on top of the rock then but in 30 minutes I’ll be on the side of one of the world’s tallest rock climbing spots. I felt a lump rise in my throat as I thought of what I’d achieved. I’d even made the news for being the fastest climber to scale ‘El Capitan’. Now I had to make my descent just as grand. I started hammering my pegs into the granite and heard a crackly cough on the other side of the rock. I started hurrying. I needed to be first. I quickly grabbed the rope and looped it around the peg. My knot wasn’t super strong but it should have done. I didn’t even pack my things. I felt butterflies in my stomach and I heard my mum’s advice in my head. ‘Life’s too short so don’t waste it. Be smart and cautious.’ I thought about the unstable knot and peg but then cursed mum and felt the urge to go. This was what I was born to do. I felt my legs go all bandy and I stumbled up to the edge. I grabbed the rock with my gloved hands and lowered myself. I felt great on the ledge up so high. I took a little leap to get the abseiling started then screamed as I felt a bump, the knot was undoing, I didn’t know what to do. I keep feeling the bumps of the knot undoing and for a few moments I was hanging in mid-air I felt tears well in my eyes. That was It. Goodbye to this beautiful world. Then I felt a jolt. ”Aaaaahhhhh” I screamed as I fell through the air. I looked down at the lake below and saw the peg and rope underneath me. Not just the rope had fallen out the peg had too. I thanked my family for everything they had done for me. I knew I was going to die. Tears stream down my face and make my clothes wet. I prepare myself for the pain of the impact of me hitting the icy lake but I didn’t feel pain, I felt icy cold water. The peg had broken the surface of the water. I crawled out of the lake onto the pebbly shore. I’m alive, I can’t believe I’m alive.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!