Cancer

It was an unclouded day and just hit 12 o’clock. I was sitting there at the doctor’s office waiting for the news that would change my life forever. My heart was pumping, faster than it had ever been. I felt sick like I was dying on the inside but I knew I would pull through for my mother. The doctor had said that he and my mother would only be a minute or so but it had been more than an hour. I was so worried that I kept biting my nails to the point that one of my nails was bleeding. I tried so hard to concentrate on something happy, like all those times my mother and I would go down to the Port on a summers day, where we had a scoop of ice cream, strawberry was my favourite and mothers was mint.
As I was thinking about all the good times I had with my mother, I felt a light tap on my shoulder, there he was a little boy who was just standing there with a big bright smile on his face. He looked nervous, he had blue eyes with brown hair and some freckles on his cheeks. He started a conversation that lasted about 10 minutes. He started off with introducing himself, “Hello my name is Wyatt and I came over to introduce myself.”
I said, “Well hello Wyatt nice to meet you, my name is Kylie.”
“Well Kylie I came over here to say hello because you seemed down,” said Wyatt.
I said “Sadly I am down, I haven’t had a pleasant day so far but you have brightened my
day do far, so thank you.”
With a delighted smile, Wyatt said “Well you are welcome, I am glad to have made you
feel better.”
I said, “So why are you here at the doctor’s office Wyatt?”
Wyatt replied, “As you can see I am here with my mother, she is very sick and has been
fainting.”
I said with a sigh, “Oh that is not good my mother is also sick, my mother has been
fainting and complains about there being a lump on her breast.”
Wyatt responded, “Well I’m sorry about your mother being sick but I really must go, it
was nice chatting with you and goodbye.”
Wyatt had left with his sick mother around his shoulder, as he turned and went into the other room, the doctor came out and called my name asking me to enter the other room on the other side of the room Wyatt entered. The doctor started to talk but before he opened his mouth I ran stumbling into my mother’s ice cold arms, there she was sitting there, crying. The doctor said with a nice and calm voice “I’m sorry Kylie to be the one to say this but your mother has c…c…c..c..ancer.”
There it had been the answer I had been waiting for, the answer that would turn my own happiness into sorrow.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!