Gallipoli

It is freezing. The icy air whips about, playing games as it swirls and whirls around me. My fellow mates, are staring in silence at the murky green water ahead of us. It is all we have seen in ages. Many men are leaning over the side of the vessel, green in the face. This is not what I signed up for. I had decided to sign up, because the propaganda had thoroughly convinced me that I wanted to be a soldier and use my great qualities of courage and perseverance to bring peace and freedom to my country and to represent them at war. I had never expected the gruelling hours of training and the cold, sleepless nights I face rocking about in the hull of the vessel. I don’t know what to expect when we end our voyage, it’s like walking around with your eyes closed, sensing danger but not being able to do anything about it.

I am just a country lad from Australia, leaving my family behind. I picture their faces at night, while I listen to the churning sea. In the pocket of my jacket, is a photo of my family taken the day I left to go to war. It is all I have of them now. A single tear rolls down my face as I sneak a look at the now dog-eared photo. I reminisce about the many joyous memories I have of them, hoping with all my heart that I live to see them another day.

“Land Ahoy!” someone shouts. I immediately rise from my pile of straw and run out onto the deck. It’s true. In the distance, the terrifying shores of Turkey seem to radiate death as we sail closer and closer. All of us soldiers fall silent, our eyes looking towards the treacherous shores but searching for a way to go back home. But there is no turning around. My mate Tim, stands next to me giving me support. I am suddenly scared, like a baby first coming into this world not knowing anything about it. I want to go home.

On the 25th of April, we dock at Gallipoli beach. This is not where we were meant to land. There is something not quite right. I am to go out in the first group. As scary and horrific as it is, I am a tiny bit excited. This is my first ever great, big adventure and my chance to prove my worth to my country and my family.

We are signalled. I jump off the boat, my feet sloshing in the shallow water and sprint up the sand. I remember the months of training we had to endure, and I sprint faster, following my fellow soldiers to a place where we will not be as vulnerable. I see a Turkish soldier, aiming his gun at me. I am terrified. I look for a different route but I have no time. The bullet is fired and I am falling...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!