How I Found A Friend

My name is Ruby but everyone calls me ‘Right’, I think its because I’m an annoying child. Why? Well I correct people all the time, especially my parents.They think things like ‘ she is such a know it all’ or ‘an annoying mimicker’, people at school tell me to shut my mouth and nose somewhere else. It gets annoying really. Then I go to grade 4 and people started calling me little miss Right. I felt sad but still ploughed on.

On April fools day something happened that made my heart stand still. My teacher was marking our maths results when she stood and said in an inpatient voice ‘how come no one got Q5 right when I explained it on the board. I was thinking ‘impossible, I am always right’. I put my hand up. ‘Yes Ruby’ she asked. “Miss, surely, I got it right’. As I said, no one got it right’. She answered in an growly tone . For the first time in my life I was hoping someone would should ‘April fools’ or ‘it was just a prank’’. When no one shouted out any of these words my heart sank so low I thought it would just come right out.

When I got home I took out an egg sandwich and slumped into my room. I got out my maths sheet but found myself incapable to concentrate. As I thought about how best to ignore my lack of concentration a tear cascaded down my cheek. I didn’t know why at first, then for some odd reason I remembered that I had no friends. Then suddenly a lot of tears oozed their way out of my overbright eyes.

I went to school the next day. As my teacher lectured us about our England assignment I barely listened (which was a first). I was too busy looking at all the other class mates who were all smirking at each other. I would have given any amount of failed maths grade to be with that group.

The Bell rang and I ran to door, seized my lunch box and stopped at the usual seat where I read my book and ate my lunch.

A girl called Lily came up to me and asked me something so suddenly I answered back ‘No!’. She looked taken aback but regained her confidence. ‘Please can I you play with me’ I raised my eyes. ‘Whey don’t you go and play with them’. I pointed at the playground. ‘Well they don’t wasn’t to play with me’ said Lily in a hurt voice. ‘Ok what do you want to play’, I asked. ‘Tip’ she replied. ‘I don’t want to play that I said stubbornly’. ‘Well OK do you want to read a book?’ Lily said.
‘I would love to’.

So all of lunch we talked and read a lot of books. When the bell rang I thought my body might fly off I had never felt so happy. I had never had any friends.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!