Player

Sunrays lit my body up as the sun peeked over the early morning horizon. I groan as my scratched body aches. I was on a remote island. But where? I fall back, pushing the sand deeper into my wounds. Memories flood back to me. I stand almost urgently when the memory of my friends pops into my mind instantly. Four of us were in a boat, on an ocean flatter than a flat soft drink, no islands nearby and no help anywhere close. Suddenly there was a gigantic wave as big as a 12 story building and that was all I could remember. I looked at my hand bleeding out. I needed to stop the bleeding, now. I limp into the jungle and start ripping off leaves making a mixture I learnt in survival camp to sterilize my wound. The sun shone high through the jungle canopy, I need to find my friends. As I left the jungle, a symbol carved on a tree catches my eye, it’s an ancient symbol meaning player. I stick it into my mind so I don’t forget. As I race down to the beach, I see someone, Thea? I see one of my friends. I run to her and notice that she has a cut in the same spot as me, on her left palm. I explained everything as we go searching for our other two friends, Tom and Don. We luckily find them before the rainbow beams of the sunset struck. Each of us has a cut on our left palm, now that couldn’t be a coincidence. I unwrap the leaves from my hand looking between the dry, cracked blood, the symbol I saw on the tree, Player. But what does it mean? Questions that will have to wait until tomorrow. So we all go to sleep letting our dreams reanimate todays journey. I wake up to chains on my wrists, mud and sand scratched into my face. Where am I? I cough sputtering out a mixture of sand and blood again and again. I looked around, I’m in a cage, the only way out blocked by two blue-skinned muscly men. ‘What the? Aliens?’ I say to myself. There was a clank from the cage next door, then a scream. “Thea!” I shout screaming and banging on the cage. I slide down, tears running down my face. I fall back as the door opens, men grab my shoulders and drag me out into an arena. Suddenly I realise, that’s what the symbol on my palm means. We are all players in their pyscho entertainment. There stood Thea with a knife, covered in blood, two bodies either side of her. “Tom and Dom,” I whisper to myself. People cheer as she comes at me. What do I do? I hit Thea, knocking her out. I throw her over my shoulder and run! I don’t stop until I find our boat and we are safely off the island. It’s not long until we see the coastline of the city. We’re finally home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!