Jam Sandwiches

“What the heck?”
“I was hungry okay!”
“A Genie came to your room, gave you a wish and you asked for a jam sandwich.” my brother, Alex, recited.
“It was night. I was hungry. I refused dinner. I wanted a jam sandwich.” I told my brother.
“I think that Genie should be put in Genie prison because surely it’s illegal for a Genie to give such a stupid wish!” Alex shouted.
“Hey! Tony’s a nice guy!”
“Really? That’s the Genie’s name? I thought it would be something extravagant like Laurence or Charles or-”
“Tony is a nice name.” I cut in.
“But… doesn't matter. Wait, why are you telling me this now? I mean, you said it happened last night and now it’s 9:30 at night?”
“I thought you would get mad.” I muttered.
“WELL I AM MAD!” Alex shouted at me.
“We should go to sleep now.” I suggested.
“A jam sandwich…” Alex said as he went to sleep.
I heard Alex start to snore so I knew he was sleeping. I tried to get to sleep but I kept on hearing a bell every time I closed my eyes. I opened my eyes and heard Alex snoring. I was about to close my eyes when I saw someone floating above me.
“Oh, Hi Tony.” I said looking up at the Genie, wearing a purple turban and golden spectacles. He was a tall figure with no legs, just a swirling blue cloud of steam.
“Phoenix! Good morning! How are you on this fine evening?” Tony asked me.
“Wait, you just said good morning and then you asked me “how are you this fine evening?”” I replied, puzzled.
“Life was not made for questions, only answers.” Tony replied in a humble voice.
“You’re not inspiring me.”
“I’m not trying to.”
“Yes you are.”
“You speak false facts.”
“A fact can't be false if it is true.”
“You're smart.”
“I know.” I stated, grinning.
Pause.
“So I have something for you.” Tony said.
“It better not be a wish. You know how good I am at stuffing up wishes.”
“I do.” Tony said obviously smiling.
“Oh, god no.” I said.
“By the power of Zeus,I Tony of Section B5 Room 9, grant you, Phoenix Graham, one heavenly wish to be used in ten seconds starting…. now!” Tony commanded.
“Um… uh.” I panicked. I tried to think of something. And then I had it, “I wish for a jam sandwich!”
20 years later.
“Hello, everyone.” I waited for my fans to calm down. “I have to say it is a delight to be here."
More applause.
“If you don't know me and what I do, I am Phoenix Graham, owner of Graham Jam Sandwiches and I make jam sandwiches. Some people wonder how I make jam sandwiches so fast without any employees. Well let's just say it’s a little bit of wishing.” I said as I winked at the disguised Genie in the crowd known as Tony. Tony winked back.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!