Eleanor & Toby

Every day started the same. She would wake up at precisely 5:00am, make him breakfast, get ready, and kiss him goodbye.

“I’ll be back soon!” Were the familiar words she would leave him with as she strolled out of her derelict beachside cottage every morning. Although it made him anxious to know that she would be out there on her own for so long, he knew that she would return home each night, with food ready to cook and share between them.

Although living off the pension and fishing for a living didn’t leave them much in the way of belongings, it mattered to neither of them. It was although as long as they had each other, everything around them seemed to fall into place.

For some people, however, when Eleanor described how much she loved her dog and best friend, Toby, they would pity her. They all felt sorry for the poor, old woman who only had her dog to keep her company. For Eleanor and Toby, they could think of nothing better.

Everyday, whilst Eleanor was out, Toby did nothing but wait for his best friend. He would pace up and down the beach for hours on end, occasionally digging up seashells with his nose, or finding small, rotting animal bones that he thought Eleanor would like. She never did like the bones much, but it was the thought that counted.

One morning, however, Eleanor woke up feeling nauseous. She insisted everything was ok, and made an effort to re-assure and comfort Toby, but even he sensed something was wrong. Nevertheless, Eleanor left at exactly 7:00am, just like every other morning, and gave Toby a big kiss on her way out.
“I’ll be back soon, Toby!” she called, as she dragged the anchor up from the boat.

Toby paced up and down the beach. He dug up seashells, and discovered at least 3 animal bones that he piled up to gift to Eleanor. He even enjoyed some sun-baking and paddling in the ocean.

As the sun fell, Toby prepared himself for Elenor’s return. He neatened up his pile of treasures, and sat eagerly, wagging his tail in anticipation.

He waited for what seemed like hours. The sun had set, yet Eleanor failed to return. That night, he fell asleep on her bed, waiting for her to come home.

Toby knew Eleanor wasn’t coming back. He knew he was right in sensing something was wrong. Still, for days on end, he waited patiently for Eleanor on the beach.

Up until the day he was rescued by the pound, Toby waited for Eleanor. He couldn’t imagine living a day without her. Even when he was taken away, he still didn’t truly accept that she was gone, and until the day he passed, he never really did.

For Eleanor and Toby, the saying ‘a dog is a man’s best friend’ didn’t apply. It didn’t even come close. They were each other’s best friend, each other’s guardian.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!