The Tale Of The Midnight Terror

Finalist in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

Why is everything so quiet at the midnight hour? Why does the light hide from darkness’s power? Why do shadows seem so joyful at midnight? Beware this tale might give you a fright.
Her name is Midnight terror and demon of night she will be known forever. Is she a hero or is she a villain, decision comes down to you.
They say her cloak is weaved by the shadow’s hand at the devil’s command, her eyes are a piercing green, but to look into them is quite obscene and her skin, as pale as the moonlight she thrives in.
For someone so contempt with living the dark, the bright city of Neon lies her heart.
Ever since the greedy Mayor Joshua Prince, won the election, the city is at a state of imperfection. For too long he has taken the money of poor, he should realise that death will come knocking on his door. There is no Easter, there is no mother’s day and there is no Christmas. Who will end his rein?
On the first midnight, he heard whispers that all sinners will die and the next day he stole money from the primary school and high, the children, now have little food. On the second night, he saw midnight’s shadow warning that he should leave and go. The following day he took the tax and no one will fix what Neon lacks. The third night he saw nothing, but he knew the midnight terror was coming and her footsteps echoed through the hall, while midnight struck the clock on the wall. Then all-time seemed to stand still, the shadows echoed the word kill, as the midnight terror entered the room. The Mayor tried to swat her away with a broom but he was at his doom.
A red dawn rose, midnight and her shadows were gone. When the maids came, they found a very distressful sight, the Mayor has been murdered overnight. Should they rejoice or should they grieve, now that the Mayor cannot thieve. No one came to his funeral and the city was beautiful.
The lights illuminated the sky but at midnight they still seemed to die.
This is the final tale I spin before the lights dim.
Some police are friendly and some are deadly. Do they deserve the citizen’s trust or can their actions turn our world to dust. In Shimmerville, Neon’s neighbouring town, corrupt police can be found.
This used to be a very diverse community, until corruption drove away the people’s unity.
Each night one would die, the one who made an innocent cry.
One night they laid a trap for Midnight, thinking she could be caught easily but Midnight would not be caught without a fight.
Many were killed that night until Midnight dealt the final fright. Badly wounded she was, she lives she does and though many think she died, she is still alive.
Corruption and evil beware because I the Midnight terror will be there.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!