Racing Ahead

“She shoots she scores” Mickey said to herself while playing basketball at Franklin Park, by herself, in her wheelchair, all alone. She always thought to herself why in the world was I the one to be paralysed. Her mum always said she was one of a kind and she thought she was special but Mickey thought she was unlucky, because every other kid could run or play a sport but she couldn’t not even if she tried. She shot another basketball but missed and it rolled away. She turned around and wheeled her way to the ball but when she went to grab it someone had picked it up. It was a small boy in a wheelchair. He passed the ball to Mickey and said “Can I please play with you” his voice was shy and sweet and sounded calming. Mickey looked at him and quietly spoke “sure what’s your name” the boy sighed and looked up at her and spoke the word “Finn” Mickey looked at him and said “Come on then, my name is Mickey” Mickey taught Finn how to shoot and pass. Mickey had finally got a friend and not one pretending, one who meant it.
As Mickey walked home she walked past the Lincoln Sports centre and saw kids around her age playing Basketball. She wheeled herself home disappointed and angry that she couldn’t play a team sport. She scooted in the door and saw her Dad in the living room, watching basketball. I went to join him. Then my brother and sister came to annoy us and whined to Dad “Why can’t we have a surprise like mickey” Dad looked at John and Jewel and then sighed “We have a surprise for you Mickey” he paused “we found a wheelchair basketball league near Radcliffe over the bridge.” Mickey looked at him and then her dogs and said “when do we start”
Two days later mickey went to her first game after the few training sessions she had by herself she was ready to start. The first game started and mickey was SF (small forward) she scored 22 points and her friend she met at the park was there. Together they scored over 40 points and had a blast. After the game Mickey and Finn went to a basketball theme restaurant called 3 pointer. They were having so much fun until Mickeys mum walked out crying and then Mickey realised John is in hospital. After lunch they all went home and Mickey and Jewel were confused then dad said to us “John has brain cancer” and Mickey teared up all along she knew John was unwell and she was only caring that she couldn’t move her dumb legs.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!