Jail Break

I was awaken by the sounds of people screaming. I wiped away the dry sleep in the corner of my eyes and squinted to see what was going on. I couldn’t quite see as my eyes were still adjusting to the bright light shining through the steel bars. From the sounds in the shadows, it looked like an elderly man was being dragged by a tall bloke holding a gun, into a room that looked like a prison. My heart stopped. I peeled myself of the rough, dirty, concrete floor and slowly stood up. Then it hit me. I was not at home nor was I in my bedroom. I was in a prison. Why was I here? I mean how? “MUM!” I cried, not thinking. “MUM! Help!”
“Zip it, mutt” the Guard yelled in a deep voice, “your mum is dead.”
I jumped. “W-what” I said in shock.
“I said your Mum is DEAD ,now zip it or I’ll shoot ya.”
“Ok sir,” I said trying not to cry.
That night, I cried myself to sleep. I could hear her telling me not to worry. The next morning, I woke up with my shoulder soaked in tears. The prison was still dark, and all I could hear was snoring. At that moment, I heard two people talking outside the prison. I grabbed hold of the metal bars that framed the window. I pulled myself up and peered through, it was the guards.
I heard them say, “So when?”
“12:00 on the dot.”
“Do you have the…”
My arms couldn’t hold me much longer. I let go of the bars and fell to the ground with a thud. “Who goes there?” one guard said in a cautious tone.
I froze, and luckily, I was not noticed.
“We better get going, the sun is rising,” one guard said. Their footsteps become quiet as they walk away. I sat up and leant against the wall behind me. It felt as if this was all a dream, like it was never meant to happen. I pinched myself, hoping that it was all a dream, but this was no dream. This was all real and I needed to escape. I couldn’t hold my anger in any longer and I started punching the walls and making dents. As I was punching my fist suddenly went straight through one of the walls. I pulled my powdered fist out in shock. I looked at the hole in the wall and knew that was my way out. I started knocking away the sides of the hole. I crawled through the hollow tunnel, and at the end, there was a bright light. It was so bright I had to look away. As I kept crawling, the bright light started to dim and in a blink I was in my very own room, in my house with Mum sitting on my bed. It was then I realised it was all just a big dream.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!