You Dont Know What You've Got Til Its Gone

“Dodge this one!” yelled Cardi, bombing me with a snowball. “Missed me” I screamed back as Cardi’s phone buzzed and she dropped her snowball to answer it. She spoke for a minute, then she disappeared under the bridge and into the snow covered trees leading out of Wimble Cross a tiny town then out to Cramble forest. Sometimes I don’t even understand my own best friend. I picked up my bag and began a slow walk retracing my steps taking in the beautiful snow coated trees and the snow acting like a blanket for the grass. Tiny droplets slept on the leave’s that are free of snow. The big rocks sat there next to the chairs like strange distorted growths as I sat down on one, my phone screen lit up. It was Cardi, she was trying to apologize for leaving me on my 10th birthday. I turned off my phone ignoring her message.
I ran the rest of the way home tears in my eyes. When I got home I ran straight to my room and cried myself to sleep and didn’t come out till morning and I only came out because I had to go to school. Year five is hard you know! I trudged down the stairs through the sitting room, made some toast. I got on my Wimble Cross uniform, picked up my bag and left the house. The walk to school was cold, a few times I nearly slipped down the hill. I saw Clair Benson strutting down the hill in her designer clothing and high heels. She didn’t see me which is lucky for me because she is not the kind of girl that is approachable. Then whilst posing, her high heel slipped and she landed flat on her butt. She looked around hoping no one saw but she looked back and saw me staring at her. She is perfect I had never seen her make one mistake. Clair hopped off the ground “What are you looking at” she snapped “ATTITUDE” I mumbled under my breath. I speed walked the rest of the way to school and made it just in time. As I got to the door I gasped for air, my asthma was acting up. The school day felt like it went forever. Cardi kept trying to apologize and I kept ignoring her. After school I saw Cardi walking up to the cliffs. I followed hiding from view as I reached the top Cardi was standing on the edge backwards “goodbye world I don’t belong here” she sobbed “NO!” I screeched “I have to do this “Cardi answered “No you don’t” I assured her. “Goodbye” she repeated leaning back off the cliff “no this is all my fault.” I bolted to Cardi’s house, horrified Miss Jonson asked “Tilly why?” I had no words to explain why. All I know is, I was the only one who accepted her. She had autism.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!