Jason Seater

My name is Jason Seater, and I am an Archaeologist. I see the world not as it is or how it could be, but as it once was. Walking down an old road, feeling the cobblestones beneath my feet, I think about the horses that once ran over this road. I think about the battles that would have been fought, won and lost in the valley that I am standing in. I see an old castle and I think of the meals that would have been served in the halls. ‘Were they victory meals?’ I ask myself. I close my eyes and am instantly transported back to a simpler time.
My name is Jason Seater, and I am a Farmer in the year 1787. My day starts early, feeding the sheep and going into town to buy some bread. I am broke so I cannot afford my bread today, I will have to steal it instead. Stealing happens a lot these days and if you get caught, then you’d be killed or worse. Once the sheep are fed, I make my way into the town of York, England.
It is a bright sunny day, people are out doing their shopping. I spot the Baker lining up fresh loaves of bread ready for the days sales. I approach him ready to steal a loaf of bread. I need to be careful so I do not get caught. I say good morning to the Baker and look at the bread. I find a loaf I like and pick it up, as soon as the Baker turns his head, I run as fast as I can. I make it to the wall that surrounds the town and I am just about to run through the gate, to my horse and to freedom, when I feel a strong hand on my arm. It is the guard, I have been caught. I will now either die or worse.
I spend 3 weeks in a small, cold room with a small window, waiting for my future to be decided for me. One cold morning I get the answers I have been dreading, I’m going to be one of the first to set sail for an unknown land called Australia on May 13 where I will spend the next 7 years.
The trip took several months. It was long and hard, but we made it. Now I have to set up a new farm and try to survive this place until I can return home. The years are hard with many things going wrong. After the 7 years are up, I do not want to return home as I have an excellent farm, a wife and a child. The Colony is growing each year and I now think of it as home.
I blink several times, and open my eyes up fully. I find myself standing on a road made of cobblestones in a valley. My name is Jason Seater, and I’m an Archaeologist in 2018.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!