Unearthed

I have no name, I have no soul. You tore me apart, I was under your control.

This story is quite a morbid tale, but I’m going to tell it anyway in the hopes that you humans learn from your mistakes. This is the story of how I died; Of how you slaughtered my kin and celebrated over our rotting corpses. You built your terracotta canopy over mine, laying down cement over every memory I have ever had.

Years ago, the fertile soil was home to a plethora of speckled creature that even mythology couldn’t explain. Red, orange, green and blue…every colour of the rainbow. Our roots; our heritage stretched far across the earth. Textured brown bodies climbed into the thin atmosphere and formed a lush haven. Children would flee from the troubles of their home, and caress my trunk as their bare toes dug into my bark.

One afternoon the rigid golden rays of the sun were butchered by thick grey clouds. The light rain floated in delicate waves. That’s when I first laid eyes on you. This may seem a bit like a romance novel, but trust me, it’s far from. Your thick ebony boots destroyed civilisations as you walked into my home, my soil. Bright yellow vests were ornate with shiny tape that tried to replace my sun. Only God knew what you were up to. I treated you gently, just like I treated those children. Every time you tried to grasp my trunk, I brushed off the critters and cleared away any sharp twigs or pieces of bark. I cared so much for you.

As time passed, my suspicions grew. The first time, you came with nothing. The second time, you brought white substance that you painted me with. It wasn’t just me, I noticed the same design on the stiff stomachs of my family. You came several times after, sometimes to just stare at the rich canaries that perched on my branches.

One morbid day I heard the deep roar of a large tractor, the same colour as the canaries you used to observe. The commencement of your destruction was signalled by the wave of birds that flew frantically away from the forest. I watched you trample over my friends, my family; my own mother. I saw her helpless arms stretch towards me; but I was rooted, stuck. All I could do was scream to her and comfort her as your jagged metal teeth tore into her lower torso and ripped her to shreds. All I could do was watch as you took away everything I had. You build your civilisation where mine once laid. What you failed to realise is that for every one of us you killed, you suffocated a little more.

You may be wondering where I am right now, how am I telling you this story? I’m right in front of you. Again, you caress me but this time into a tight ball as you aimlessly toss me into the bin.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!