Genie In A Bottle

Frank stared at the lamp he had found. It was covered in dirt and grime and was sorely in need of a good clean.
Frank jumped up, grabbed a rag and started polishing. There was so much grime, it took him almost fifteen minutes to get rid of it all. Although when he did, he knew it was worth it.
“Aha!” cried Frank with glee. “It is gold!”
He marvelled over his find for a few more minutes before the lamp… started to shake. It flew out of his hands and shot across the room, hovering in the air before him. Slowly, a green mist was expelled from the spout of the lamp.
And then came a great, booming voice, “WHO DARES TO WAKE THE MIGHTY ZABOON?”
“Wh-what is happening? Who is speaking to me?” Frank managed to stutter out.
The mist coalesced into one big, swirling mass of green, forming the outline of a giant man. When the man fully appeared, his skin was green as the mist, his pants the same colour, only darker. The booming voice came again.
“YOU, HUMAN HAVE AWOKEN ME FROM MY SLUMBER,” said the green man, pointing to Frank. “WHAT IS IT THAT YOU WISH?”
“If you’re taking requests,” said Frank, “Could you please speak at a normal volume? My eardrums are going to burst.”
The green man - Zaboon, he had called himself - opened his mouth to speak again and Frank braced himself. “Your wish,” said Zaboon, “is my command.”
“Wish?” asked Frank, scratching his head in confusion.
“I am the Mighty Zaboon and you have woken me. I must grant you three wishes before I may return to my slumber.”
Frank absorbed this information and slowly smiled. “You have to grant me anything I wish for?” he asked.
“Yes,” replied Zaboon, “however you only have two wishes left. You already used your first to quiet my voice.”
“What?” exclaimed Frank. “That wasn’t a wish! Take it back!”
“I am afraid I cannot do that. All wishes are final.” Zaboon’s smirk was heard through his voice as delivered this news to Frank. “Unless you would like to wish for me to take back the wish.”
“No, no, that would just use another wish.” Frank took a deep breath. “I wish… that everything I touch turns to gold.”
Zaboon bowed his head. “Your wish is my command.”
Frank excitedly ran to his kitchen and grabbed one of the apples on the counter. He watched in awe as it miraculously turned to gold. “Yes!” he yelled. “It worked!”
He ran back out into the living room and picked up his phone to call his family and tell them the exciting news. The phone turned to gold. Frank realised what problems this wish could cause.
“Oh no,” he said. “I wish for the wish to be undone!” he cried.
Zaboon bowed his head once more. “Your wish is my command.” Then he disappeared.
“Zaboon?” Frank called. The genie did not reply. Slowly, Frank reached out and touched another apple. It remained a plain old apple. Frank sighed.
“Well, at least I can still sell the lamp.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!