Jailhouse



I wake up. Instantly I want to go back to sleep again. I can hear the guards yelling at me. The prison snitch whining. Why doesn’t she have to stay in this prison? Here I am in solitary -confinement, and she is whining because she accidently got woken up by the guards. I roll out of the bed. Which, by the way provides no warmth. The guards decided I would get the absolute WORST bedding. Which, by the way, is yellow (I HATE yellow!). I put on my prison jumpsuit and walk to the cafeteria. The smell of burnt toast fills my lungs. The harsh guards give me my toast (no jam!). I snatch my plate and bring it back to my cell. It’s horrible in here. All I have too comfort me is Betsy, my trusty harmonica. Good old Betsy. She is my only friend in this cruel world, and she irritates the prison snitch! Anyway, even with Betsy, it’s BORING in here. The snitch is the favourite. Always ratting me out when I plan a scheme, snitching on me to the guards who, by the way, never take MY side of the story! This is it. I’m going to get out of here. Not with one of those Hollywood movie plots like digging a tunnel with a spoon or dressing up like one of the guards. I’m going to behave. Behave like I never have before (which isn’t really saying much). I walk up to the guard who is taking his shift to watch over the cafeteria. “What do you want?’’ she yelled “No snacks or lollies for you until you smarten up your act!”

I hesitate. I don’t want to be like the prison snitch, sucking up to the guards, always saying “Happy to help!” Blech. But it’s my only chance to out of here. I gulp and say “Can- I mean, do you want me to do the dishes?” The guard eyeballs me suspiciously. I’m sweating.

“and why is that!” she says

“I want to be more like the prison sni-. I mean Lily!” I say nervously. The guard hands me a filthy sponge and tells me to start cleaning. I look at the dishes and try to look excited. I start to scrub. My hands are feeling raw. After what feels like ages I am finished. I find a guard and tell him I’m done. He looks at the dishes and surprised, says. “Huh! Okay…”

“Anything else need doing?” I ask. He almost falls over.

“What’s going on with you? He questions. I quickly start to think of an answer but he just continues. “The rooms need vacuuming, you need to pick up the dog poo, there are leaves in the pool” He lists several more jobs and I sigh and think. “I have to do it”

I grab the doggy bags. “better start with hardest!” Trying to stay positive I walk outside…

Today has been horrible, my body is numb and I’m sore. But it seems to have worked. The guards are walking up to me and one says. “We know why you did all this.” I’m shocked. I start to plead but they’re continuing. “But we think it was enough to lift your ban.” I’m about jump out of my seat. “You can go outside.” I hug them for the first time in ages and call them Mum and Dad. They then look at the prison snitch who has been doing nothing all day. They start to say something, something about how SHE should start being like ME! I quickly stick my tongue out and leave as not to be seen. I hear her squeal. I sprint outside and stop. It’s Night!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!