Banjo

Banjo
Five years ago I was on a tour in Afghanistan with my dog. His name was banjo he was a great companion, a great friend and he got me through all this, sometimes I wonder what it was like for him.
“Banjo come here boy” said Ben he’s my owner I raced over there and gave him a big lick on the face. He’s great I thought. For some reason he looked serious but I knew what that meant it meant we were going out.

It happened like a flash. He was gone. There were gunshots explosions and plenty of other noises. I couldn’t explain it if I tried. I was hit by something really hard and everything went black. When I woke up, everything was gone the only thing left were bodies and debris. I searched everybody I could find. I regularly checked for he’s scent and found the slightest scent that became a dead end. I had no Idea where he was, so I tried remembering which way we came from.

But I couldn’t remember so I just walked. With no point in going in one direction I could have just given up. But I couldn’t I was doing this for Ben. It wasn’t long before I came across a small town they gave me water, food and plenty of pats. But no matter how much they wanted me to stay, I had to go they all looked sad but I needed to find Ben.

I was starting to think weather I should give up or not, doubt was starting to get me. I didn’t know what to do. But it was at the moment of desperation when I saw it. It was an American convoy I knew I had to follow it were it went Ben went. A giant flood of happiness washed over me. Before I knew it I was running.

The thought of seeing Ben again was overwhelming. But I couldn’t let it get the best of me I had to stay focused. After about a day of walking in the direction of the convoy I found an American outpost, and my owner’s friend Jim was there. I ran up to him and licked him so much it was nearly violent. I then sat there and let him check my collar. Straight away he realised I was Ben’s dog and said I had to get back to Ben straight away. A man I didn’t know said he could take a two car convoy back to base and return. And that’s exactly what he did half way through the trip a tire popped but that’s about it. When I got there I smelt Ben straight away. I found him moments after arriving and when I got there he started crying and I didn’t know why but I knew he was happy.

“But not long after being reunited he died” Ben said before shedding some tears and walking off stage.
By Vincent Hodges.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!