SAM

I slowly tiptoed out of the room. Slowly but swiftly. My heart was beating louder than a basketball bouncing up and down a court. This was scary. If I got caught I wouldn’t be getting breakfast. All I need to do is find the letters my dad gave me before he went on his holiday. I need to find them. If I don’t I won’t know what happened to him.
Click…
My heart stops. I rush back to the hallway to where my carer is. I can make out some sort of tall girl with jet black hair and colorful clothes. She looked… fun. “Am I getting a new mum?” I thought. Astonished, I tiptoed out to the big dining table to get a closer look. “She is a wicked girl. You will have to have your eye on her at all times” I heard Mary say. Mary is the horrible person that looks after me.
“I will take great care of her I promise Mary” said the girl hopefully.
“Okay, she is yours. Go wake her up and introduce yourself”, ordered Mary.
I then realize she is talking about me. I rush to my room and hop into bed. I’ll let the girl introduce herself in the morning.

I wake up to the smell of crispy golden bacon and runny gooey eggs. Mmm… this can’t be Mary’s cooking. She only gives me stale cornflakes with out-of-date milk. Sometimes I’m lucky and I can find some chips at the back of the cupboard. “Umm where is Mary?” I asked rudely. I don’t trust unknown people.
“She is gone forever I’m your new carer” the girl replied brightly.
“Now what’s your name?” she asked softly.
“My name is Jessie”, I replied cautiously.
“Nice, mine is Samantha but you can call me Sam” she replied calmly.
“Do you want some breakfast?” Sam asked.
It was like she could tell I was starving. I was licking my lips, it smelled amazing.
“Yes please” I replied greedily.
“Let’s order takeaway” she said.
“What about the bacon and eggs?” I asked confused.
“That’s just the smell of my phone. See…” she replied.
“Sorry to confuse you” she said apologizing.
“Oh, all good” I said “let’s get takeaway”.

It had been two years with Sam and she was the best. She taught me how to play basketball. I taught her how to cook.
But last night Dad showed up and I realized how happy I was with Sam. She was really fun. But I didn’t know how to tell Dad that. I told Sam how I felt and she told me that she was going to stay for a bit longer but then leave for good. I felt my face turn white as a ghost. All I wanted was to see Dad and know I want Sam too. Two days later she left and I’m fine. She helped me. Dad is who I really wanted and Sam and I still talk. And if I ever need a babysitter Sam is free.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!