Underwater Escape

Harry concentrated on the hand-cuffs and they clicked open, unlocked. “How do you do that?” Screamed Harry’s brother astounded by the sheer talent Harry had with picking locks with his mind. “Calm down Nathan” Harry said in a relaxed voice, “remember we don’t want to attract attention,” they both looked around the busy marketplace and saw lots of horses hooves clip-clopping on the cold cobblestone as they went past pulling carriages. “Harry you know what we should do?” Asked Nathan “We could start a magic show named THE YOUNGEST ILLUSIONIST EVER wouldn’t that be grand.” Harry pondered the thought for a while and decided it would be a good idea. Magic seemed to be very popular in this late 18th century. “That sounds like a good idea,” Harry replied to Nathan. “Now let’s go home.”

Harry and Nathan walked quietly along the back streets of Hungary when they saw two tall and muscular men beating up a young homeless boy. “I told you,” the young boy said his voice quivering “I don’t have any money.” Harry watched disapprovingly. “Nathan, wait here I’ll go help that boy.” “Look after yourself Harry,” Nathan replied, but Harry was already gone, approaching the men. “Hey you two!” Called out Harry in the bravest voice he could muster. “Why don’t you go pick on someone your own size”. “Oooh, looks like we’ve got a brave kid ‘ere” said one of the thugs smiling and showing off terribly crooked teeth. Harry gritted his teeth at the insult. Then he had a thought cross his mind. “Hey why don’t you two thugs tie me up and throw me into that river” Harry challenged in a confident voice. “And if I can get out you leave us alone, if I don’t then you can beat up that poor kid all you like.” “Harry remember your lim….” Nathan started saying but was cut off by one of the thugs. “Sounds like a great idea kid now get over ‘ere” he growled. The thugs tied Harry up and made sure they were extra rough. “Alright now kid, are you ready to die?” the robber laughed. Harry then got picked up by rough hands and next thing he knew he was in the icy cold water of the Sió River.

Harry concentrated hard but then realised his hands hadn’t been bound by handcuffs but with ropes. Harry couldn’t get out of these ropes. He started to panic and thrash in the water. His mind slowly started turning black when all of a sudden a fresh wave of air rushed into his body giving Harry new found energy and then something unexplainable happened. The ropes around him undid and then he started rising to the surface. Harry swam over to the docks and was greeted by an astounded crowd. Harry could see the thugs were gone and the boy was okay. Harry looked around and a gentleman in a suit walked up to him. “Well young man that was quite a display,” he exclaimed, “what is your name?”

“My name’s Harry, Harry Houdini.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!