Earthquake

The ground rumbles underneath my feet as I crash to the ground. The earth splits, I struggle to stand. Birds scatter as they try to escape. Trees crash down all around me as I cradle my scarlet macaw, Pig, who barely managed to avoid a heavy oak tree. I trip over a tussock of grass and land on my face. I am bruised and dirty and blood oozes from my chin.

I let out a cry for help, but there is nobody here.
“PIG!” I yell hopelessly. “What do I do?” I trip and twist my ankle. My eyelids squeeze together and I groan. The ball of fire pushes its way up my leg making the pain even more intense. I have to wrench my eyelids apart so I can see what’s happening. I have to get out of here, whatever it takes.

I use a nearby stick to support my weight and pull myself off the ground. My ankle screams with pain. I squint at the path ahead and call for Pig. “Pig, lead me to safety.” I follow the ball of flying scarlet in front of me using all the strength I have left to hobble away. The earth rumbles again, louder this time and I lose my balance. I hit the ground suddenly, as hard as a rock. I groan and close my eyes. I am trembling and my heart is racing. My hands clench each other tightly and the back of my neck trickles with sweat. I slowly lift my head to see a fuzzy brown dot on the horizon. Sitting on top is the ball of scarlet, Pig.

The ball of fire screams, as though it wants to be released. I use my arms to push myself up and I crawl forwards. I feel the gravel and dirt turn into a smooth dusty path. I am inches away now and my ankle throbs, but I resist and push harder. I use my hands to feel around me. Eventually I feel the wooden door of the hut, covered in silky cobwebs and I push. It swings open and I hear it smack the wall. I crawl inside as earth makes another terrifying rumble. Cobwebs get tangled in my dirty hair as I push the door closed.

I fall to the ground with such force that it is like I am the cause of the next rumble. I crawl into a tiny ball on the hard wooden floor and cry. Tears streak my cheeks and the rumbling of the jungle around me rings in my ears. Suddenly, everything goes quiet. It is like the world has paused for a moment. I sigh with relief.

I lie on the floor for a moment to catch my breath. My exhausted body parts feel like they have collapsed altogether. I take a moment to thank my lucky stars. I hobble over to the nearest window and open it for Pig, then I snuggle into an old, dirty armchair by the fireplace. I mop my bloody chin with a rag as I position my ankle comfortably.

My name is Freja Clearwater, and this adventure is something I will never forget.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!