Galaxy And The Marathon

‘Dear Diary …’
Galaxy was in her immaculate room while writing in her diary about the marathon; the marathon she really wanted to be in but she felt inferior to the other girls competing. With envy, Galaxy glanced at the flyer for the marathon.

The other day, Principal Beverly announced that there was going to be a marathon at Mooloolaba. Back in class it sounded like a herd of pigs. There was squealing, chatting, screeching and then there was Mrs Bell. She tried to ‘tame’ the herd. The only thing the class would talk about was the last thing on Galaxy’s mind right now. She tried to distract herself but she couldn’t.

At home, after school, Galaxy considered entering the marathon. Galaxy knew she was taking an ‘elephant’ sized risk but she wanted to show that she could be persistent, resilient and determined. She nervously signed the flyer. Suddenly she had a painful twinge of regret. Galaxy thought deeply. She stared into an endless abyss of worry.

The day had come…the day of the Franklin Marathon. Competitors with confidence were competing and they were fierce. They were a ferocious pack of lions hunting prey. Galaxy stood isolated, nervously squirming uncomfortably, while most of the competitors were boasting about how much exercise they’d done and how they were going to win. She regretted entering. She felt like she was the odd one out.

Suddenly an ear-splitting voice came booming out of the loudspeaker, “Could all marathon participants please go to starting line. The race is about to begin.”

“On your marks… Get set… GO!” the race announcer boomed with pride starting the race.
The marathon had just begun and Galaxy was in the middle group. She had a jolt of confidence. She slowly gained speed. Soon enough she was in the lead. Galaxy had 3 kilometres to go.

2km.

1km.

1/2km.

RRRIIPPPPPP! The finish line ribbon with a gold edging split as Galaxy bolted past.

The energetic athlete started breathing heavily. Her vision got blurry. Then she got dizzy. It was getting challenging to breathe. Galaxy was shaking. She blacked out.

Somebody in the background screamed, “Quick somebody get some water!”

Splash! Water pelted Galaxy’s face, flowing through her hair. She woke up confused.

“Did I win?” Galaxy questioned, “Did I?”

Later that afternoon, Galaxy was given the trophy with her name engraved on it. And she won $1000 prize money. She wanted to donate the money to a charity so she told the person on stage.

A few months later Galaxy received a plaque from a charity for her selfless donation. As she read the note and plaque, a bright smile plastered her face. She had no sign regret or worry. She felt confident within herself and was proud that she remained humble, strong and resilient.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!