Can't See It Coming

Excellence Award in the 'Inspired 2019' competition

“Oops sorry,” the two most frequent words that come out of my mouth. "Your hands can never keep up with your brain" my mum always says.
I kneel down to pick up whatever it is I dropped on some yelping dog. As I do so I somehow manage to trip over my own two feet causing a big mess. But don’t worry my face breaks my bag's fall.
Even though I don’t look up, I feel people smirking at my back.
“Oops sorry,” there I go again!
Embarrassed, I pick up my bag and scurry away to the other side of the park.
Eyes blurred with tears, I don’t see where I'm going, luckily I know my way around this park head bowed by now. I eventually run into a tree and I decide to rest there. I pat my faithful dog, Rex, who is napping beside me. He calms me, this tree calms me, this park calms me.
Although my head is spinning with unimportant thoughts the tree stands tall and keeps me in place, and the leaves dance to the rhythm of the singing wind. Whispers and secrets between the wind and trees. I wish life was simpler. Life can be hard when you're...well...me.
My thoughts are interrupted when I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket. I pull it out and answer.
“Hi, Lexy. Mum here, just wondering where you are?”
“I’m at the park.”
“Can you meet me at Julian's?”
“Sure, see you then,” with that I hang up.
No questions needed from me - I love it there. Since I was young, every Friday mum would take me there.
I wake up Rex careful not to scare him, and say, “Do you want to go to Julian’s?” Rex knows by the tone of my voice what this means for him, fun.
Now he's wide awake and excited. He’s looking forward to what has to come, and for once, so am I. I repeat myself so I’m clear. “Do you want to go to Julian’s?” Rex stands up and starts nudging me to hurry up.
I clip the lead onto his collar and when he leads me we’re at the end of the street in an instant. The only thing going through our minds now is 3 blocks, 2, then 1 and finally our arrival. My nose finds the familiar smells of coffee and cookies, but not store-bought ones, Julian’s ones.
We walk in. Nothing has changed, it’s all the same, same familiar customers’ voices and same Julian’s voice.
“How are my favourite customers?” Julian beams.
“Good now I’m here.” Rex gives an excited bark in response.
“Oh I have a treat for you puppy.” I hear Julian walk away and knock something onto the ground near my feet.
“I’ll get it.” I bend down to get it but have no luck finding it so I give up quickly. I guess I’m used to this, after all I am blind.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!