Kaleidoscope Of War

The sun dropped behind the mountains and I was now covered in deep shadows. The chopper hovered near the ground leaving me for a free fall of three metres or so. I jumped down into the tall grass and sprinted for the tree. Any tree. Every step was going into the unknown. You didn’t know what was going to lurk around the next tree or around the next branch but all that you had to do was wait. Wait in fear, wait in pain, wait until you heard the sound of someone being shot in a nearby distance. Wait- it was this palpable tension that drowned me in my own fears, filled my lungs with poison until I couldn't breathe and had a reason to give up.
This was war. I wanted to run, run like the wind far away from here, swim far out in the sea and get lost so that the serenity of the waves clouded my PTSD. But how could I? This was war after all. ‘A person would start dying when they stopped dreaming’, I would say to myself. And so, I would dream. Dream about how verdant the hills would be before this atrocity started and photograph the rugged landscape of Saigon with my weary eyes. What was the point of war? This scenery, these innocent animals and people were just pawns in a game of chess and so was I. Dictatorship ruled once again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!