You Can't Catch Me

My sister lays silent, under an old oak tree dancing in the wind. Jayla’s traumatized soul shivers my spine when I visit. I still hear my sisters frightened screams when the wind blows.

I visit the wrinkled oak tree once again. The darkness of night covers the tall grass surrounding the oak tree. I see my dwarf house fading in to the pitch black distance. As I stumble towards the old oak tree, shivers run through my spine. Goosebumps swarm my body as I slowly approach the wrinkled oak tree. Suddenly the wind blows and my sister speaks. The words blend in with the wind but I still understand what Jayla is saying. She whispers “Jaxon, I’ve been gone for three years. I was pushed off the towering bridge. Did you try to save me?” With guilt, I reply. “No.” The second I reply, a giant gust of wind sweeps me off my feet. I land with a thump, on the cold, wet grass. I know my sister is angry. I slowly force my aching body to stand. I start to sprint as fast as lightning away from the oak tree. I run away from my tiny house. I don’t care where I run to, I just don’t want Jayla to catch me.

I am still running at a high speed. But I don’t think that my bare feet can handle the staggering rocks on the road. I know I am far away from home because I can’t recognise any of the houses. All the houses surrounding me are huge, new and modern. I start to slow down, then I stop. I look around. Darkness still covers the land. I feel the wind starting to blow my long brown hair out of my face. I feel that my sister has caught up to me. I want to run but my body is too weak to handle the pain from the road. I start to jog to get away from Jayla. I huff and puff as I slowly make my way down the dark street. Soon I start to see something big and towering in the distance. As I get closer I see that I have approached a big rusty bridge. I stop for a while to catch my breath.

As I am standing there, I see a faint silhouette in front of me. I know it is my sister. I slowly step back, almost tripping on the loose gravel beneath my feet. “You can’t catch me!” I yell as I run backwards a little. Jayla rages towards me, I step backwards as she steps forwards. When she stops, I find myself on the edge of the towering bridge. Faintly, I hear her scream “WHY ME?” I start to cry when I realise that the silhouette fading into the distance. I burst into tears and run the way I came, hoping to find home. The wind howls behind me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!