G'day Australia!

"Beep! Beep!" The noisy alarm coming from my alarm clock wakes me up. That was too bad, because I was in the middle of an adventurous dream of me saving the world. I lazily get out of bed and get dressed into my denim pants and nylon t-shirt. I galloped my way downstairs to get my blue, spotted bag pondering of what he day would attack me with, and soon enough, out was out the door, walking my way to college.

I arrived at school, feeling drowsy, I really wished I stayed in bed and continued my nostalgic dream. The bell rang for first period, English class, so I slowly walked to my classroom. As soon as I got to the loud classroom full of stressed students, the morning announcements were being read over the P.A system, the daily school newsletter, new science teachers being welcomed to the school and a whole school trip to Australia. Now, THAT woke me up, not the new science teachers, but the school trip to Australia! I was super hyped about it, because at last, we were finally going on a school trip to my home country, Australia! I continued to finish my work, being disturbed by the bell for 2nd period. Next week was going to be the best week of my life.

*1 week later*
Today was the day, the day that my dreams were going to happen. I patiently waited near the locker area for the teachers to mark to roll. Ever since I was a little child, I had lived in Australia, but due to family businesses, we sadly had to move across the world. Th teachers eventually came and marked the roll, soon enough, we all hopped on the bus and arrived at the airport.

I walked onto the plane, ready for the plane to lift off. I was quite happy, since I got to sit next to the window. I thought,
"I wonder what comes my way in Australia? Will I get to eat Vegemite on toast, jump with the kangaroos or even better, eat meat pies?"
I got very excited, I felt a bit tired, so I decided to take a nap until we arrived at our destination.

*A few hours later*
We finally arrived. As soon as we set foot of the shiny floors of the airport, tour guides handed us all a jar of Vegemite, like I wished.
After a while, a bus came and drove us to our cabins, where we were going to stay in.

We were at our destination. Surrounding us were a plethora of eucalyptus trees and annoying flies buzzing around our faces, but I didn't mind it at all, after all, I'm used to these things. As I looked at everyone's faces, I saw it, the faces of disgust. They didn't seem to like the saltiness of the Vegemite, the pungent smell of the eucalyptus trees or the buzzing company with them.
I was enraged. I thought to myself, "Why can't they just be grateful that they have the opportunity to visit an enriching environment like this?"
They kept complaining. I have had up. I hopped onto a wooden log I saw nearby and hollered,
"G'day guys, so I kind of figured out that you dislike Australia so far. My childhood all began here. I saw all of your disgusted faces as soon as we got here, but this is Australia for you! So while we're here, let's all try to live in the Aussie Spirit!"

Silence came, and an appalled feeling devoured myself. Never, in a million years, that I knew that those words were going to come out of my mouth. Everyone just stared at me, I was still. All of a sudden, small chants started to grow.
"AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE! OI, OI, OI!"
I was surprised, they still kept chanting.
"AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE! OI, OI, OI!"
Those words kept repeating itself. At this point, I was going to go deaf. I was definitely not expecting this, but I could tell that I made them feel like they were in the Aussie Spirit! As the chants slowly faded away, the tour guides lead us to our cabins for the night. I unpacked everything out of my luggage and layed down in my bed. I rethought of the unexpected events that occurred, I smiled at them. I contemplated,
"I'm not going to hide my culture an traditions, I am proud of who I am.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!