Last Man Standing

“Hello?” My own voice rang through the empty underground train station. The sour smell of mildew and electricity singed my nostrils. The yellow lights flickered and the sound of water was dripping steadily in the distance. I quickened my pace to a slow jog. The underground station was a spooky place to be at midnight. Therefore, you are probably wondering what I am doing at a train station at midnight? Well let me take you back a week.

“Are you Robyn Tyler?” Asked a small girl, her eyes a brilliant, piercing blue. I opened my mouth to reply, but no sound came. I nodded. “Are you Robyn Tyler?” Shrieked the girl, her eyes flashing scarlet. “Yes...” I stuttered “Good, she handed me a slip of paper, remember you must be The Last Man Standing.” In a puff of smoke the girl disappeared and the familiar face of my bedroom came into focus. I breathed a sigh of relief. It was a dream. I propped myself up, but I brushed past something sharp. I whipped back the sheets revealing a creased sheet of paper. No, it can’t be. My hands trembling I slowly unfolded the paper and read it. It bore ‘Underground Station, 12am’.

Now here I am, present day, in the underground station looking for someone, anyone. “Hello?” “Robyn Tyler...” the cold voice echoed all around me, sending chills up my spine. I took a deep breath and slowly turned on the spot. A handsome young man stood facing me, his grey eyes burning into mine. “Who are you?” I cried. “Stay away from me! I’ll call the police!” His laugh was cold and cruel. “Go for it. They won’t pick up...” he sneered. “Why wouldn’t they?” I demanded. “Oh because they are dead” he replied. I gasped. I gaped at him. “Did you kill them?” “Yes Robyn”. “You evil little cockroach!” “Don’t you understand? We are the only two leftover the face of the Earth. I will kill you, then I will rule the Earth”. “Nooooooooooooo” I cried, my cry echoing through the station. He ran at me with a long silver carving knife. I turned and ran. He was gaining on me. I slipped in a puddle of water and all hope was lost. He raised his knife and plummeted down.

It all happened in a blur. The knife was repelled by an invisible shield and he was thrown backwards. I scampered across the floor and grasped the knife. I stood over him and yelled “I AM THE LAST MAN STANDING!” I thrust the knife through his chest. Blood spurted out of his mouth, eyes, ears and nose. It was forming a large scarlet puddle around him. Out of the corner of my eye, the blood was forming grotesque humans. Several more human shapes were taking the shape of my family, friends and boyfriend. I ran to my boyfriend and embraced him. He lowered his face to mine whispered his thanks and pressed his lips on mine.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!