Underwater

I listen carefully as the storm gets closer by the second. The icy ground begins to shake so I rush outside to see what's happening. A wave starts to approach quickly so I start to run as fast as I can. “Get out of here,” I yell half out of breath. I look back at the wave crashing down on the place I used to call home.

I feel a tear drip down the side of my face as the helicopter flies over my old town. My childhood is gone, all the memories I made with my friends as a kid. Emma and I sit silently as we fly to a survival center. I jump out of the helicopter and go for a walk. It gets late so I jump into bed but I can't sleep for hours because every time I close my eyes the wave flashes before my eyes.

“Wake up! Wake up!” Emma screams in my ear.
“What?” I say
“You had a bad dream.”
“Sorry.”
“All good.”
I slip on my shoes and go for a walk with Emma while we wait for the others to wake. “Are you okay?” Emma asks with a worried voice.
I turn to face Emma. “I’m fine,truly.”
“Okay whatever you say.”
“Trust me it was just a dream.”

Emma goes back to our tent but I stay outside and enjoy the fresh air. “Breakfast!” The cook yells. “Breakfast!” I make my way through the children that are playing outside the tents.
“I have an announcement to make,” says a man with a black cap standing out the front. “ Everyone will be taken back to their hometown.’
“Yeah!!!” The whole room filled with excitement. We all file one by one onto the buses. We leave at about 9:00 am and arrive at about 10:00 am with about 2 hours to look around before lunch. I’ve been strolling around for an hour before I come across the soaking wet memories of my old home. I crouch down and pick up a faded picture that I can just recognises Lily’s face. Tears came running down my face like a waterfall thinking about how Lily would have made this whole situation better, don’t get me wrong Emma/’s great but Lily had a special touch with this kind of thing. “hey ,’ I turn to see Emma standing behind me. “ Are you okay? You look upset.”
“I guess it’s just hard to see it all gone.”
“I know what you mean.” I walk around down past the old bakery and the old clothes store. I find my way back to the buses where lunch is prepared for everyone but I don't have the appetite to eat.
Before we go back to camp we all go to the movies. When we get back it’s time for tea so I go sit next to Emma and a girl named Riley and for the first time in forever I have a laugh and actually enjoy myself.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!