Rats In The Roof

Bam! Scrabble scrabble! A pesky noise came from behind the wall. “What was that?!” I squealed. “ Oh, I do not know Sheila!” Mum groaned. I ran to the phone, picked it up and dialled in grandpa’s number. I skimmed the story over to him and the first thing he said was “RATS!” A shiver ran down my spine.
****
My whiskers quivered, there was pounding in front of me, though I couldn’t see. It was so dark. I was lost in some small, dark, wooden place. I scurried round, feeling my way out.
****
That night, I dragged my mattress outside. I would not take any chances with ratty. It was cool outside and not a vermin in sight.
****
My fur burned with fear. I climbed on pieces of splintery wood, scrambling onto metal. My little heart pounded. Listening to loud screams is frightful. It was night and I scurried to a piece of wood and slipped behind so the giant couldn’t get me.
****
When I woke next morning I got up quickly, dusting off for rats. I went inside, making a rat free breakfast. Mum called pest control first thing. I went to my room and listened to rat’s frightful scratches. “He must just want to get out.” I thought. “He isn’t harmful…Maybe he isn’t too bad…” I ran downstairs. Mum was sprawled on the lounge.
“Good news.” Mum smiled. “Pest control has poisoned our rat.” She said it proudly.
“WHAT!” I cried angrily. I was beginning to like Mr Ratty. Fat, salty tears rolled down my cheeks.
****
I smelt something whisker-licking good in the air. My nose twitched. I nibbled at the food that smelt so good. Suddenly I felt thirsty. I scurried around for a drink. I found a big splashing pool. I jumped in, slurping the cool, fresh water. But I was sinking, I could not breathe, I choked. I had eaten poison! I closed my eyes.
****
I sat sadly on the lounge missing Mr Ratty. I wanted to be friends with him. Suddenly I heard: “Scratch, scurry!”
“Mr Ratty Junior!” I squealed.
This time I wasn’t telling Mum.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!