Earthquake

Isaac wanted that first place prize so badly. 500 bucks and a choice between a $500 Rebel voucher, Nintendo Switch, Play Station or an X-box One. He needed an amazing story to win. The problem was, he couldn’t think of what to write about, and he and his best friend Riley were going to visit Darcy in half an hour, so he didn’t have a lot of time.
An hour later, Isaac sprinted out of the building as quick as a cheetah. Murmuring to himself in disbelief, he called out to his friends, but it appeared they were a step ahead. Isaac could have sworn he had felt the building beginning to move. He chased after his friends. Suddenly, a vicious and terrifying rumbling echoed out from beneath their feet, causing them all to fall to the ground. Unexpectedly, an unbearable, high-pitched screeching filled their ears as the panic spread. The three friends knew something was horribly wrong. ‘Earthquake!’ Darcy shouted.
Screaming, people ran in all directions. Despite the chaos the trio were able to navigate themselves to the car. Isaac and Riley launched into the tray while Darcy jumped in the front. “Step on it!” yelled Isaac, but Darcy didn’t need to be told. He hammered his foot on the accelerator so hard that the two in the back nearly tumbled out. They gained about 250 metres before they witnessed the collapse of the buildings around them….down and down they crumbled before their eyes. Diving out of the tray just in time, Isaac and Riley turned around to see piles and piles of rubble and glass plummet to the ground, almost burying the car with Darcy still inside. The shaking felt like it was never going to end.
After a few tense moments, the destructive shaking stopped. His eyes glistening with tears, Isaac bolted over to what was left of the car. He scrambled, pulling off the rubble while being blinded by the dust surrounding him. Out of the corner of his eye, he caught a glimpse of a swollen, black hand. Maybe, just maybe, Darcy could have survived this abominable, natural disaster. Isaac continued shovelling, brick by brick to reach his missing friend, until only one brick remained. Taking a deep breath, he pushed the last, lonely one off, with Riley watching in horror. Isaac’s eyes widened in shock. It was unbelievable! How was this even possible?
Hours later, Isaac found himself back in his bedroom, with his mind again pondering what he could write about to win that first prize. “Why is this so hard?” he thought to himself.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!