Genswim

My name is Debby & my best friend’s name is Jenna. We’re pretty much the only people you need to know in this story because that’s what it’s about Jenna, me & a stupid competition with a lot of ego involved.
It all began about a month ago when Nick our swimming coach, announced the “GenSwim” Swimming competition. Jenna and I were selected for the competition!
We would do separate training together every Wednesday and Sunday at Selbourne Aquatic Centre. Jenna was great at breaststroke & backstroke while I was more of a “freestyler” and a “Madame Butterfly”. It would always go for 3.5 km. Because all of our swimming training was done together & we did the same routine we both stayed at the same standard.
As it was getting warmer in the hot month of February, I went swimming everyday before school & started going for more swims, in my pool. My point being, with all this extra training I began to reach a higher standard then her, not only was I noticing this but so was Nick. He came up to me while drying off & talking to Jen and said “ can I talk to you Deb” I nodded and walked over to him after smirking at Jen because he usually says something hilarious like I’m in need of a new pair of floaties do you think I should get the crocodiles or ducks? Nick went on to say that I was moving up a level in swimming & that he had already talked to my mum about it so I have my lessons every Monday &Wednesday. Con-foundered I went into the change room as I knew I would have to move up because there’s no getting past my mum, Jen noticed that I was being quiet and asked me what was wrong…I can’t believe how upset she was, we won’t be able to do training together on Wednesday’s.
Next thing I know Jenna had moved to a different swim school because she didn’t want to be “second best” all the time. She stopped talking to me in school and suddenly decided to play hockey when we did training on Sundays. She would always give me dirty looks and wouldn’t let me explain, so we both decided that…IT WAS WAR! And I’m not joking it really was because when she left our swim school she couldn’t represent it any more & I was going to be AGAINST her!
It finally came down to the GenSwim competition; Jen and I were in the final. We lined up together on block 4 & 5, we were equal with another girl from my squad called Alanna, whoever won this would win the division. READY, SET GO! My arms where moving rapidly in freestyle Jenna and I were both behind, that other girl was winning, QUICK! Tumble turn…finish line. Jenna & I had come a draw and Alanna had won it for our swim school.
Jen & I have worked it out now, she enrolled back into my swim school and moved up into my level after a week. She quit hockey & now we train together on Fridays instead of Wednesdays. I personally learned a lesson though: Never let something as little as swimming get in-between you & those who mean the most to you. There’s always a way to work it out even if it does mean holding yourself back in a race…. Shh!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!