Unconscious

The crackling of the thunder startled me just as I was about to drift off, I sat on the edge of my bed clenching my fists and keeping my eyes shut terrified for what would come next. Then the ground started shaking, as I was thrown off the bed to the floor, my wrist aching from the sudden fall. I could hear the deafening screams of the other families from the houses nearby as I was being pulled into my room walls. I could feel the floorboards underneath me starting to creak and praying they wouldn't give way. My body was struggling to keep me on my feet as tears fell from my cheek. I couldn't hear my family anymore, I couldn't hear anyone. As I started to realise what was about to happen, I made my way to my phone and I dialled 000. I put the phone to my ear sobbing, with the only words escaping my mouth *save me*. My door swung open as I saw my mum, I couldn't help but smile. She stumbled up to me and gave me the last hug I thought I would ever have, she held my hand tight then it happened. The walls were closing in and the floor boards were slowly starting to drop getting closer and closer to me, suddenly there was nothing under my feet and my hand slipped away from hers.

The sound of sirens awoke me, as I opened my eyes and only saw darkness. I tried to sit up but something heavy was keeping me down, I started to cough when I heard a woman scream *I can hear her, she is somewhere in the rubble!*. I felt the pressure against my body leaving and a bright light shone over my eyes. I could see people gathered around me as they seemed to shocked to see me. I was lifted up and put on a stretcher and carried into an Ambulance. I could hear the sounds of cameras flashing and then a microphone was shoved in my face, I closed my eyes again as I just wanted this nightmare to end. I opened my eyes, soaked in a deep sweat. I looked around me, from what I saw I must have been in a hospital. I sat there quietly and patiently as I awaited for someone to enter. I saw a plate of food there next to me, nothing really looked very appetizing to me, I was caught off guard when a nurse entered. She looked at me, smiled and said *woken up from our power nap have we?*. I looked at her confused and asked *What do you mean?*, She came over and sat next to me *Don't you remember, you were knocked unconscious while playing baseball*. I sat there thinking that couldn't have just been a dream I know it happened, well I think I do.




FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!