Back To The Water

I had been waiting for this for what felt like forever. Mariana Beach, here I come! After an long, exasperating car ride with my annoying little brother, Marcus, and my technology obsessed sister Willow, we were finally here. I leapt out of my car seat, and heaved out my dreadfully
over-packed suitcase. "C'mon guys, let's go see our room!" I hurried my family eagerly. "We're coming, Lucy." they chorused with irritation.

It was gorgeous. There were three beautifully made double beds, with crisp white sheets and fluffy navy pillows. "I dibs having one to myself!" I called to everyone. "Whatever," mumbled Willow. In the corner, there was a small bay window that looked out onto the big, breaking waves and famous, Mariana golden sands, and I couldn't help but stare in amazement. It was hard to believe we were staying here, at my dream beach, all weekend! This was the best birthday ever! Unfortunately, Marcus' excited shout about food broke my captivated trance, but I still adored the view.

Later that day, we headed down to the beach. The soft sand danced between my toes, as little soldier crabs mucked around by the water. "Hey, Lu-lu! Eat THIS!" I turned around, a giant ball of sandy pain hitting my cheek. Marcus giggled. It was on. Back and forth sand flew, "Ouch!"es and laughter filling the salty air. Suddenly, I spotted a small, xanadu oval wriggling in the sand. And Marcus' missile was about to hit it.

"Stop!" I called to him. He managed to bring the ball back to his hand just in time. We ran over to see what the mysterious green object was. It was no object. It was a baby turtle, struggling to escape the wet sand. I had read somewhere that picking them up was terrible, and didn't want to injure the poor creature more, so I called my dad over. He came rushing down, and dug a little moat like trench around the turtle, so it could move. He scooped it up with a handful of sand and placed it carefully on the even beach. "While it can hurt the turtle to pick it up," Dad began, "if you're gentle, you could save it's life." He guided it back to the water, tapping its rear lightly when it got stuck. A smile plastered onto my face. Not only was I on my dream holiday, we saved an innocent baby sea creature. This really was the best birthday ever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!