Wandering

Shutters were pulled closed, planks hammered to windows. The dull grey cobblestone streets were silent. The quiet breaths of the living as they hid in their homes. The howling of the wind. Strange things did happen at night.
In the harsh grey streets a small girl braved the night. A small doll hanging at her side.
“Sammy, Sammy, SAMMY.” The girl cried out, her petite face stained with tears. “Sammy, we aren't supposed to be outside this late.”
The wind pushed some bushes to the side. A scrap of red fabric took flight.
The girl ran after it. Following the red. Only hesitating at the beginning of the woods.
The entrance to the woods was guarded by two lone Cypress trees. Standing out against the normal oak of the forest.
Villagers had tied ribbons onto the branches. The wind brushed against the tree. Hundreds of ribbons rustling.
The girl stepped forwards. Entering between the two trees.
One step.
Two steps.
Three steps.
Four - There! The scrap of red. Settling onto the forest floor. Two steps further.
The girl knelt to the ground. She picked up the fabric between her fingers.
The bushes ahead of her rustled.
“Sammy!”
The girl leapt up. Sprinting the three steps to the bush. An owl call echoed through the otherwise silent forest.
The girl pushed through the bush. Tripping over the roots as she took two steps through the bushes.
Looking up the girl noticed a silhouette near the tree.
“Sammy!”
Tentatively she took two more steps towards him.
A young boy hung suspended. A rope coiled around his throat.
“Sammy...” The small girl smiled as she held up her doll.
A ribbon wrapped around its neck.
“Now you two match!”
Strange things happened at night. Strange things did happen near the hanging trees.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!