I Can Only Hope

Short story competition

Today is the day my whole world could change, my life could be flipped upside down. This is the day I find out what my little ray of sunshine is suffering from. I have no idea what to expect. Maybe she is all fine and they just found something little that they could take out with no dramas. Or they would tell me something that is life threatening found inside her tiny little body. I have no expectations, but trying to stay positive, so I can get through the day.

It was time. We hopped in the car ready to drive off to the appointment. Still thinking positively I turned on the radio and sang with my gorgeous girl. After a long drive we made it to the appointment, where I helped her out of the car seat and held her hand as we walk in the hospital doors side by side. We then took a seat in the waiting room. The longer we waited the more nervous I got. But I had to stay strong for my brave little soldier.

Once they called our name I took a big deep breath and followed behind the man that would be telling us the news today. We took a seat on the crunchy paper on the blue bed in the side of the room. I held my daughters hand in my lap. After a while having to let go as it was to slippery due to my sweaty hands. The man in all white sat across from us. Ready to tell us the news........

I closed my eyes and let out a massive sigh. Fearing that the worst would come. “I’m sorry to have to be the one to tell you.. but we have sadly found cancer in her tongue that has now spread to her brain ” he says. I couldn’t hold it in and just bursted out with tears. I was not expecting this at all. The only bit of happiness in my life was about to slowly slip away from me. I was out of breath and was struggling to breath. I felt as if someone had just got a sharp knife and stabbed it deep within my heart.

My sweet angel had no idea what was going on she just looked up at me with her big blue eyes so confused on what was happening. I had to pull myself together and just give her a big smile and told her everything is going to be okay. Knowing it really wouldn’t. I was broken and no one could ever put me back together. Every other time I was broken she was always the one I knew would make me happier and always be by my side. She is the only one I have, how could I ever live without her. I couldn’t live with out her once she was gone. I would be left shattered forever. All I could was hope.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!