Walking Through COVID

Excellence Award in the 'Play On Words 2021' competition

“Grandma, could you help with my project? It's about this virus called COVID-19 that was around when you were little. I don't know anything about it.”

I got a bit excited because even though I was only 8 I remember what it was like to live through the Coronavirus Pandemic like it was yesterday.

“I’d love to! Let me tell you my story...”

We were at school in 2020 when my teacher told us we were going into lockdown. I was extremely confused. What was happening? The next day we were doing schoolwork at home, as we couldn’t leave the house. The Coronavirus Pandemic was spreading rapidly around the world and it was too risky to be out as the virus made people very sick and there was no cure. Suddenly days were spent learning online, staying in our houses and wearing face masks when we went out. At first, it was creepy when you could only see people's eyes, but as time went on we got used to them. Most people hated lockdown and there were heaps of protests, but I LOVED it.

“Why would you love being trapped at home? It sounds awful,” my Granddaughter commented.

I continued… Even though we couldn't leave the house, my siblings and I felt like we were free. Mornings were spent schooling and afternoons cartwheeling along the beach, baking, doing science experiments and arts and crafts. We were allowed to exercise within 5km of our house and we were lucky we had the beach so close. No matter the weather; rain, hail or shine we spent the afternoons running on the sand and playing in the water, often fully clothed! Sometimes it would rain sending shivers down our spine but we loved it! Nights were spent curled up together watching movies, toasting marshmallows and dancing around having Glow Stick Discos. As we conga-lined through the kitchen we giggled and danced, becoming masters of the Limbo.

I remember the Pandemic as being a time that brought the community closer together by shared experiences. We would draw chalk pictures on the driveway for people to see on their walks and people hid Where’s Wally pictures in the streets for children to play I Spy.

Two years running my birthday was during lockdown, but I had the BEST time. For my 8th birthday, I stood in my driveway as my friends and family drove by singing Happy Birthday, waving balloons and dropping off gifts. I had Zoom birthday parties where we played online games with my friends and ate treats in our own homes. It was so much fun sharing a party with my friends who I hadn't seen in ages, even though it was only online.

“Wow Grandma! That sounds so different from what we’ve learned at school. To us, the Coronavirus Pandemic sounds so depressing and sad, but your story is very different,” exclaimed my Granddaughter.

“That’s why I always tell you there’s two sides to every story,” I replied.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!