A Candle

A fire. A careless mistake. A life up in flames.

I have never thought of myself as special. I’ve always been in the background, but sometimes I quite like it. Other times I don’t. Like now. Since he left, things have been tough. I hope he regrets the day he left his baby. My baby.

I light another candle. It fills me with the warmth friends give when they visit. Or I think so. I’ve never had many friends. It doesn’t matter. The scent of warm apple pie wafted around the house, a luxury food I can only dream of. It hid the fact my house was filthy. I spot, once again, the electricity bill, among the other papers strewn along the floor. It won’t be long until I lose the house.

Trodding carefully, I opened the door to the song of a lullaby; my baby’s soft snores in the background. I remember my job interview, all too late. 5 minutes was all I had. All it took. No longer careful, rushing around the house, I pushed and searched through the piles of paper, grabbing my keys. Finally, my lucky break. I was certain to be hired, and I would finally rid the weights on my shoulders. I wouldn’t be long; just a formality and I was sure to be back in no time.

As I drove home newly employed, I could finally see myself in a better place. Hope. It filled me up, fuelling my excitement. I felt… ecstatic. It was a first for me. And I liked it. It wasn’t long before burning smoke filled me instead. Coughing, I prayed prosperity to wherever it was. I must’ve known the poor neighbour, with the fiery reds blazing against the dark blue of the night so close to my home. That was until it clicked. I hadn’t blown out the candle. There was a chance I could’ve knocked it. No. I definitely knocked it.

I felt myself crumble inside, a cloud of dread forming in my mind, realisation to the fire tearing apart my home. Realisation to my baby still sleeping peacefully in her crib.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!