Candle Light

Candle Light
In a tiny village, which was perched on a dangerous cliff, a giant lighthouse stood. This red and white tower was like a saviour to any ship travelling at night. It was the only thing that prevented boats from crashing into the harsh rocks below. The bright beams of light could shine far beyond the little village.

Each evening, just as night had begun to fall, an old man would trudge up the spiralling stairs to the top of the lighthouse. With only a dim candle to see where he was heading, he'd hurriedly light the huge tower. Mr Parkinson was his name and in his village he wasn't well liked. He had a hunched back and a hot temper. Only one person liked him. His name was Timmy.

One night, Mr Parkinson's eyes drooped as he dragged himself up the stairs. However, he never reached the top. Mr Parkinson never lit the lighthouse.

Timothy was sitting by his bedroom window, watching the light house. Strangely, he didn't see the any light. Timidly, he stumbled out of his bed and into the night. Timothy needed to find out what was going on.

Timothy walked in the darkness, on the thin stone path to the lighthouse. On horizon, Timothy was able to make out the figure of a boat. He knew he had to do something fast.

Timothy bolted up the steep, winding stairs of the light house as fast as his legs could carry him. Huffing and puffing, he reached the top. The waves were crashing wildly against the rocks and the boat was coming nearer and nearer. Timothy gasped, seeing Mr Parkinson on the floor. In his hand was a single flickering candle.

Timothy snatched the candle of if Mr Parkinson's open hand. He began to blow on the flickering flame with all his might, just as he'd seen on TV. The strong winds of the night weren't helping. Suddenly, the flame appeared to be growing stronger. Now, the only problem that was left was: how was Timothy going to light the lighthouse.

Meanwhile, in the small boat attempting to come ashore, it was chaos. The sharp rocks appeared to be coming closer. The captain was frantically trying to steer the ship around but the darkness was making it impossible to see.
A small boy from the boat called out," LIGHT! Over there!"
Sure enough, the captain was just about able to see a small flickering light in the distance. This light was the only thing that prevented the boat from crashing into the rough rocks.

Timothy jumped with joy, knowing he'd saved the sailors lives. His foot lane on something cold and squishy.
"OUCH!" Yelped a croaky voice.
Timothy spun around.
"Whatcha do dat for?" Said the voice, "Wakin' me up from me nap."
Mr Parkinson stumbled to his feet and climbed down the stairs.

Timothy sighed in relief. Mr Parkinson was completely fine. He had merely been asleep.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!