Facing Demons

I crept down the long damp hallway from the bathroom. Moonlight beamed through the old dirty window revealing dust particles. I tiptoed slowly down the hallway. It seemed to grow longer with each step. Scratch, scratch, fear rushed through me like a raging bull. I could hear something. I peered into the empty abyss of darkness. A small feral looking mouse rushed down the hallway. I noticed its overgrown long talon like nails that sounded like heavy chains being dragged across the wooden floor. Phew, I thought. They’re not here. I paused for a second. Something didn’t seem right. I listened carefully, I wasn’t the only one breathing! I could hear heavy breaths that sounded like a heavy snarl. A loud gasp escaped my mouth and echoed down the hallway. The breathing stopped. It heard me! It knows I'm here now! I thought with pure shock. I raced down the hallway into my bedroom. As I shut the door, I saw the darkness move. A large figure emerged from the darkness and came crashing down the hallway like a wave. I shut my door and locked it. My hands were shaking hard. I felt as if heavy weights were weighing me down. I collapsed onto my small wooden bed. That was too close, I thought. That night I had a dream. When I woke up in the middle of the night, I had this strange feeling that ate me up inside. I couldn’t sleep without finding out what it was. I had to find out what it was. I tore off my large itchy woollen blanket only to find my bedroom door wide open. The lock looked like a sharp knife had been stabbed harshly into it. A sharp pain occurred in my chest. I had to shut my door ASAP. As I stood, a raspy hand gripped tight on my legs and viciously wrenched me under my bed. I woke up in pure sweat with my messy midnight black hair falling out of my bun. I sighed in relief. BANG, someone was pounding hard on my door! This time I screamed. A low chuckle came from the other side. “Someone has been having nightmares”, my older brother teased. I didn’t give him a response. Instead, I walked out of my small cold room. My parents died in a fire at work so now it’s just me and my older brother who’s twenty. I used to have my best friend…until she joined that group of girls. I remember the dare they gave me, dig a hole in someone’s grave. The demons started to show up after that. I sat at home while my brother went to work. I couldn’t sleep that night. BANG, a loud crashing noise came from my door making it burst open. I woke up with a gasp. I couldn’t take this anymore. I opened my door and came face to face with glowing eyes. It was time to face my demons.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!