Rain

Excellence Award in the 'Summertime Fun ONLINE' competition


Remember when you, Flower, were as light as sóuffles and created a rainbow flipped over - on the soil - that was ever so picturesque? Remember when you, Tree and Leaf, experienced the timed seasons full of jocundity and now back in secret trysts? Remember when you, Animal and Plant, could soar, prance and plunge while the other giggled and swayed gracefully, at your whims? You all and many more before Humanity betrayed us by murdering innocent fauna and flora, polluting the world, so desperate to rule it and splurge the recourses for bric-a-bracs, were so free. You just look at us now. Let us rise up against Humanity. Sir Rain and Madam Sun please listen to the plan. So wise were you to view all the past and present and now you can shape the future. Let me and the others guide you then Humanity will continue his path himself…

All that it took was one timorous drop that seemed to glance around nervously before plummeting into the cracked ground which was praying for water to enter. That drop had sparked confidence like a firework in a banal night sky and soon many others followed to create a chain from a drizzle to sprinkle to a shower then a thunderstorm followed by extreme weather. Hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes and tsunamis unleashed their deadly power at Mother Nature's command of revenge and many impotent people would be left in hell.

The star-spangled sky who pranced in its daring play lit up instead of the murky matt black it usually was but destruction raged on. Could it be a shooting star, the light in times of kafkaesqueness?

“End this torture,” I wished under my breath that night, hoping for some mercy. The night sky seemed to stare at me suspiciously, almost glaring as it brought rain, the devil that had scared hope and destroyed homes.

“What will be the consequences?” Mother Nature slyly responded.

“Just do it!” I cursed aloud angrily. “Please stop,” I pleaded, my voice dimming.

As rays of light broke out, shining warmth down, the devils of nature have sunken back into their dens! Everyone felt happy-go-lucky, not afraid to venture out here which was a place where we could smile without a single fear.

“Bless god for letting sunlight, a bird free to soar, out of its cage!” a farmer cheered.

“Sun, stay here!” a citizen shouted.

Soon, I wondered if it was worth it. A drought insidiously morphed into a desiccated slate, calcifying the landscape like concrete onto grass. I reeled back at the sight and avowed to take back my words.

“Please end this torture,” I muttered a wish under my breath, hoping for some mercy. I felt like the past was repeating.

The next day, it started all over again. Rain had tangled itself into my life - I either wanted it gone or wishfully dreamed of it.

“Plea-” I stopped myself hastily. After all, I had already experienced enough regret.




FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!