Japanese dundee

“Welcome to Australia!” said a flight attendant over the loud speaker “Please fasten your seat belts we are about to land at Darwin International Airport!” Kenji Zunumi, a Japanese Tourist, was so excited about his trip to Australia. He had never travelled before. As he looked out his side window he could see the main town of Darwin. It was just like a mini Tokyo he said to himself. But the passenger beside him overheard his remark and said,” If you think Darwin is like a mini Tokyo then you obviously haven’t been to Sydney or Melbourne before!” Kenji knew a bit of English but it was still very new to him so he just nodded his head politely. On leaving the airport, he couldn’t help himself, he had to spend some Australian money and where else to spend it then the souvenir shop he thought. So he walked out of the airport with: a ‘welcome to Australia’ T-Shirt, a “crickey mate” Steve Irwin Drink cooler and a felt bushman’s hat, with a platypus, kangaroo, koala, kookaburra and his favourite aussie animal the crocodile pin, all pinned on his hat.

After he got off the bus he walked to the Rusty Roo Motel where he was staying. He unpacked his bag and booked a tour for the very next day.

He woke up the next morning ready for his tour. He got ready with his Bushman’s hat and camera and headed down to the bus which went to the tour agency. He climbed aboard the bus and when everything was ready, the tour started. It was a long drive but with lots of sites and landmarks along the way. On the way Kenji took a photo of himself standing next to a gum tree and a wombat hole. He saw all the animals he had pinned to his hat except the crocodile. “w-w-when see cocodile?” asked Kenji. “Hopefully when we arrive at the river mate!” answered the tour guide. When they reached the river they set up camp, ate some tucker, sat by the fire and sang bush songs. Later that night Kenji heard a noise. He thought it was another kangaroo, so he chased it down the river bank for miles. After running for ages Kenji stopped, the noise was gone! But where was Kenji? He was lost! He went and sat down beside the river cold and lost. Kenji heard another sound, it was rippling water he looked up and there was a three metre crocodile in front of him. With some hesitation Kenji jumped on the reptile’s back and the crocodile swam down river. After a short ride Kenji ended up back at the camp site. “Sank you” he whispered to the animal as it disappeared into the dark. He couldn’t believe what had just happened! It was like a dream come true.

‘BRING! BRING!’ It was his alarm clock, Kenji woke up, he was in his motel room. It was all a dream!


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!